Want to get back into mixing – Serato or Traktor?

After a loooooooooooooooooooong break I want to start mixing again Techno. I like the idea of using 4 tracks, looping and layering other stuff on top etc

I’m looking at controllers rather than decks , the Reloop Mixon 4 looked almost perfect but doesn’t have EQ kill

Traktor seems like it was designed for this sort of mixing and the remix decks look really interesting, not sure about the controllers and the interface looks like it can get cluttered fast, I do have a discount voucher for NI tho.

Serato I used years ago when it was still Scratch Live, am I right I thinking it doesn’t have a software mixer like tractor does? Does the sampler come close to the remix deck? What’s with the add ons? I really like that it stacks the waveforms.

any advice?

Really depends on how far you wanna venture outside the traditional dj box? Both platforms cover the basics at a similar level but Id say serato is more powerful when it comes to key stuff thanks to its pitch n time add on. That said in regards to techno mixing the key lock/pitch wheel in Traktor is more than sufficient.

Im a Traktor geek myself and rely heavily on rmx decks for my routine stuff, a very powerful feature - 4 track deck that can hold up to 64 samples as one shot or loops. Used well they add an element of what Abletons clip launcher brings to djing. As far as Im aware Traktor stem format has seen more techno releases than any other genres with stem tracks which could be very powerful tool paired up with four deck mixing.

• Like 2

Im all in on Serato. Love it. Works great. Does exactly what I want. And has been rock solid since I first took the plunge over a decade ago.

That said, Id suggest Traktor. You can do more with it. More bang for the buck. I think you will be much more happy with Traktor just based on getting to know you on DV because you like to push the limits of gear. Even tho I love Serato personally if I was starting out right now not owning anything Id probably go with Traktor too. Either way I think you will be happy but feel like you will get more out of Traktor.

EDIT: all that said you might be able to find a Vestax Serato controller really cheap. Some models come with Serato DJ for free. Maybe worth looking into at least for the short term.

i know youve stated serato or traktor... but after years of being non digital i finally broke the seal a little over a year ago.

To say it simple i really didnt want to break the bank to purchase either of the two options.

I always wished and wanted there to be a way to do the same stuff with customization as the above programs most people use.

However after a friend of a friend said he uses this and really likes it, and i started to look into it more...

i was able to pick up a hacked version of VDJ8 and its super easy to use and customize. (yes virtual dj 8)

then all i needed to purchase was a couple copies of serato wax and a sound card to get it all working.

have been working on some more ruckazoid/teeko style stuff with one deck and a controller really lately...

but if you want bang for your buck and dont want to invest a lot of money into it VDJ8 is always a valid option in my mind and way way cheaper if you get a hacked version from the web.

if you need/want more info on it let me know man.

• Like 1

You said the magic word: techno. And techno=Traktor.

Traktor has been designed since day one with the Techno DJ in mind. The exact opposite goes for Serato, the HipHop DJ.

Both are great (I use SeratoDJ), but for Techno, Traktor is the perfect choice. It has the necessary features (remix decks, cool FX chains, superb collection of second tier controllers - not just mixers) and it has been proven in the field. If you notice, the massive majority of techno DJs use either Pioneer CDJs (and RekordBox) or Traktor (when you spot controllers in the setup). I've rarely seen a Techno DJ use SSL/SDJ. You can also still drop your average scratch routine with it (look at Craze) but nevertheless, when you want to start making things more interresting with loops/FX, Traktor can really deliver.

As I say, if you want to play your own songs (deconstructed / live remixed) go with Traktor. If you want to play other people's songs (on a mixtape style), go for SDJ.

• Like 1

Really depends on how far you wanna venture outside the traditional dj box? Both platforms cover the basics at a similar level but Id say serato is more powerful when it comes to key stuff thanks to its pitch n time add on. That said in regards to techno mixing the key lock/pitch wheel in Traktor is more than sufficient.

Im a Traktor geek myself and rely heavily on rmx decks for my routine stuff, a very powerful feature - 4 track deck that can hold up to 64 samples as one shot or loops. Used well they add an element of what Abletons clip launcher brings to djing. As far as Im aware Traktor stem format has seen more techno releases than any other genres with stem tracks which could be very powerful tool paired up with four deck mixing.

Very far! i may have questions for you!

Another thing I jus remembered about RMX decks, they also have sequencer mode which is mad fun for drum machine style beat making on the fly - add reverb/delay to one part etc... for best results you really need a NI controller like a D2 or F1 tho

I've got a Midi Fighter Twister and that has a mapping for the sequencer, i'll have to check it out!

I think you will be much more happy with Traktor just based on getting to know you on DV because you like to push the limits of gear.

Thank you! and i think your right

You said the magic word: techno. And techno=Traktor.

Traktor has been designed since day one with the Techno DJ in mind. The exact opposite goes for Serato, the HipHop DJ.

Both are great (I use SeratoDJ), but for Techno, Traktor is the perfect choice. It has the necessary features (remix decks, cool FX chains, superb collection of second tier controllers - not just mixers) and it has been proven in the field. If you notice, the massive majority of techno DJs use either Pioneer CDJs (and RekordBox) or Traktor (when you spot controllers in the setup). I've rarely seen a Techno DJ use SSL/SDJ. You can also still drop your average scratch routine with it (look at Craze) but nevertheless, when you want to start making things more interresting with loops/FX, Traktor can really deliver.

As I say, if you want to play your own songs (deconstructed / live remixed) go with Traktor. If you want to play other people's songs (on a mixtape style), go for SDJ.

I never thought about RekordBox!

You just gave me a thought, making my own stem tracks.....oooooooooooohhhhhhhh

​The Stem creator tool is super easy to use if you wanna go down that road, as a format making your own Stems is where that format really comes in to its own.

@Dan - Ive got MF Twister to, the hardware sequencer mode is really dope but kinda redundant since RMX decks got an official sequencer mode. DJTT since released new mappings for the Twister to work really well with the official sequencer decks.

The main thing that really splits Serato vs Traktor is ultimately hardware choice rather than music genres, in recent years Serato definitely has more and arguably better options when it comes to plug and play devices. But if you want to get the best out of Traktor for plug and play then NI own dedicated Traktor hardware is the best option, that said there's plenty of decent mappings available for a huge range of controllers.

Depending on budget and wether your fussed about having platters/jogs a Traktor S5 paired up with your Twister would make for a kick ass 4 channel Techno rig, the Stem/RMX deck controls on there are limited compared to the S8, D2 or F1 but as you already have a Twister you can easily map stuff to your preferences.

I've got my Twister mapped to some stuff now, working well so far - still running in demo mode.

The S8 looks nice, i'm not sure if i could be without platters at all tho! Looks like it's a few years old now, might hold off to see what they bring out next. Is there any word on version 3 of the software? looks like it's been on version 2 for a long time.

Serato does have a lot more choice when it comes to controllers it seems, shame you can't fully test out the software without one.

Think i'll have to take a trip up to Leeds to play with a few

Yeah getting some equipment hands on experience would be the way to go.

An interesting option for serato hardware in regards to live techno stuff is the Roland controllers that have built in 808 styled sequencers.

Also I meant the S5 controller, the S8 is a beast and would definitely get the most out of stem/rmx decks if you wanted to go down that road. Plus the S8 supports DVS so you can hook up turntables.

In regards to Traktor pro 3.... recently I had the good fortune of becoming a pro beta tester for the Traktor development team. Its VERY early days but TP3 is definitely coming. New hardware wise Id only be guessing but I cant see the S5 or S8 getting an update any time soon. That said Id be surprised if they released TP3 without new flagship hardware, my guess would be an updated S4 with screens similar to the S5/S8 but thats jus an educated guess.

• Like 1

That's the plan, I've seen a couple of serato ones i'd like to try out

I saw the Roland ones, then saw the price!

That's good to know, I'm a tester for Maschine and the development for that seems to be progressing nicely. I'm guessing new hardware will come with version 3 like you say.

What's your set up?

My main playing out rig is one turntable, Z2, midi fighter 3D (in Traktor F1 mode for rmx decks) and a twister.

My secondary/studio setup changes a lot as Im constantly trying to find ways to max Traktors features that arent accessible with the Z2 which runs Traktor in internal mode. External mixing mode Traktor gives different options for working with equipment be it vst efx or outboard gear which is something Im keen to explore.

• Like 1

Just for posterity......

Traktor can be hacked to use the RME RPM, so can actually go much lower latency than Serato.

Just thought i would throw that one in for old times sake !!

I read somewhere latest versions have fixed the hex hack so maybe link and stems arent available. I left Traktorat 2.6.8 more or less o just a probably erroneous info... but check anyways!

Ot: forum seems doing strange behaviour with quotation marks symbols...

I found the HEX editor hack stopped working from version 2.9 (i think?) onwards, Ive heard theres another workaround but supposed to be more involved.

As a pro beta tester (pre beta, beta tester) Traktor dev team supplied me a VIP Traktor with DVS certification turned off and has the pre public release new features, happy days.

• Like 1