Changing Voltage on Technics?

Anyone know if its possible/ how easy it is to change the voltage on a pair of technics sl1200 mk5s?

I bought a pair in Japan years ago, so they're 100V and don't have the platter switch.

It'd be nice not to have to use a transformer with them.

If your decks have a serial number( not the black label on the back )it should say Technics SL 1200- MC for example so for yours it should have a prefix beginning with XA which stands for rest of the world when the units are manufactured and shipped then there should be a dual voltage switch ,its only the USA models that dont have the dual switching facility

M-USA / MC-CAN /E-SCAND/SWITZ

EK-UK /XL -AUSTRALIA /EG-HOLLAND

EF-FRANCE /Ei -ITALY /XA -Rest of the world and a XG prefix is also used sometimes for that market i believe

I bought a pair in Japan years ago, so they're 100V and don't have the platter switch.

Reading comprehension not anyone's strong point here? The fact that dunknow mentions this makes me suspect he/she has taken the 5 secs it takes to look?

YES IT IS SUNDAY AND I AM ANGRY.

Unless there is a true universal switching Techs and then I apologise.

Thanks for the responses. They don't have the switches under the platter.

I'm thinking that if the other models have the switching facility it shouldn't be that hard to retrofit a switch or to change the voltage, but perhaps I'm being hopeful!

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

You should theoretically be able to fit the internal transformer from a 220v technics into a 110v technics, but it's not something I've ever personally done. You can still get transformers as parts from panasonic, but you'll need to do some soldering and you'll have to be careful to connect the primary windings properly. It's difficult to explain exactly how to do it online, perhaps consult a local repair shop.

I don't THINK the frequency will make a difference since all of the electronics run from rectified DC.

• Like 1