Restoring old equipment to sell

I started a thread last year about some vintage speakers I got free from work -

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=38129&hl=rogers

I'm now in the process of wanting to sell them. They work ok (had our sound engineer test them) but they are scratched to shit. I've been searching online for tips about how to restore speaker cabinets, the general vibe seems to be buy some Howard's Restore-A-Finish and some fine steel wool - sand it down and varnish.

But I'm worried that if I fuck it up it will devalue the speakers, and leave them looking all fucked up.

Would it be best to just sell them as is, and mention that they would need some restoring? Or give it a go and hope they turn out ok?

If you can find a good local carpenter or restoration service, it might be worth paying to have them done.

If I was buying speakers like this, I'd want them to look as close to the original factory condition as possible. A bad refurb attempt will obviously affect the selling price, but a good refurb where you change the look of the speakers might too.

Some seem to fetch WAY higher prices than others too. Looks like the older, gold badge versions are the ones that command the highest price. Which ones do you have?

• Like 1

If you can find a good local carpenter or restoration service, it might be worth paying to have them done.

If I was buying speakers like this, I'd want them to look as close to the original factory condition as possible. A bad refurb attempt will obviously affect the selling price, but a good refurb where you change the look of the speakers might too.

Some seem to fetch WAY higher prices than others too. Looks like the older, gold badge versions are the ones that command the highest price. Which ones do you have?

Just had a Google and found this guy, who actually is not far from my flat! - http://www.wembleyloudspeaker.com/page-products-repair.shtml

If he can restore the cabinets at a reasonable price I'd rather do that than fuck it up myself!

I took some pictures of the speakers - http://imgur.com/a/h6fM8/all

I'm not sure exactly on the specs or even what type of wood it is, and they don't have the Rogers badge on the front.

ah, fuck - those monitors are fucking LEGENDARY!

Do you not fancy just getting a sub and keeping them?

To be honest, I'd rather get money for them. I'm hoping to use the money to pay off my overdraft (if I can get a decent price for them).

I would totally keep them otherwise

Guest petesasqwax

Fair comment mate. They are certainly worth a bob or 2. My Kef floorstanders use the same components and when I thought I didn't have space to accommodate them any more I got a quote from a mate of mine to turn them into LS3/5a badboys... still tempted to do it one day, although I fucking LOVE my Kefs so it won't be any time soon :)

• Like 1

Is that definitely not a veneer then, I guess not?

Hmmm.......actually......let me double check

Yeah it is a veneer. :rolleyes:

Those photos I took don't do them justice, apart from the obvious scratches they're in really good condition.

I suppose now I have the dilemma of "...do I reapply new veneer myself?"