April '16 Hip Hop Mix - DunKno

https://www.mixcloud.com/mike-wheeler2/hip-hop-mix-april-16/

Put together yesterday afternoon.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Enjoy!

Big L - Put It On
Group Home - Up Against the Wall (Low Budget Mix)
Janet Jackson, Joni Mitchell & Q-Tip - Got 'Til It's Gone
KRS-One - MC's Act Like They Don't Know (LP Version)
Lootpack - Likwit Fusion feat. Tha Alkaholiks & Defari
A Tribe Called Quest - Da Booty
Common - Dooinit
High & Mighty - The Last Hit ( Featuring Eminem)
Non Phixion - Rock Stars [Explicit]
Lauryn Hill - Lost Ones
Q-Tip - Won't Trade
Ed O.G. & Da Bulldogs - Love Comes and Goes
Apathy - Can't Leave Rap Alone (feat. Celph Titled & Ryu)
Braintax, Farma G, Mystro & Rodney P - You Know Who You Are
CZARFACE - Nightcrawler (feat. Method Man)

I think the tracklist is good and it's well mixed/put together for the most part, it's a mix of well known and lesser known stuff which often works as the listener appreciates being put on to other stuff they might not have heard before. I think you could make a bigger deal of the intro or first track to grab people's attention, listeners who don't know you will rarely make it through a mix to find the scratchy bits etc which the DJ has put most time into, unless they were impressed by the intro. I always think if I don't grab people's attention with the first track or intro they're unlikely to persevere to the end. If they listen for music content then I may as well be making an unmixed podcast, so if you're going to take the time to scratch and trickmix get a lot in at the beginning.

I've found that mixes with a bit of a theme and perhaps artwork tend to get more interest, worth putting the time into.

You do some nice trick mixing with snare sounds but I would probably say there's a bit much of the pressing the start button effect. For my tastes once or twice is nice but I do try to vary my transitions if I'm not mixing the next track in - Just my opinion though of course. Also watch out for keeping everything in time if you do stop the music suddenly, if the restart's not in time re-do it and edit it out. Remember everyone's making their "mix" on ableton these days and the computer's doing all the work so people aren't used to not-quite-perfectly in time sounds anymore and are less forgiving!
Also I would say use that start button effect only at the end of a bar, any earlier and doesn't sound right.

I'm forever trying to make my basic scratches that I can use to bring in tracks sound better (babies and chirps) so I'd say work a bit on those for a bit of variation as you're clearly able with the mixing and some turntablism aspects already. I spend hours cutting up two copies of the same record and just working on the scratches to bring the other one in, and listen a lot to people like Mr Thing or the X-Ecutioners who have really funky chirps and it makes their mixes sound really good...Very few DJs could say they couldn't get better at that...

Some hopefully constructive feedback but I enjoyed it, keep putting them out as there's always an audience for good hip hop..Here's definitely a good place to get quality feedback too. I got a lot of handy tips from Steve, hopefully he chips in too!

I think the tracklist is good and it's well mixed/put together for the most part, it's a mix of well known and lesser known stuff which often works as the listener appreciates being put on to other stuff they might not have heard before. I think you could make a bigger deal of the intro or first track to grab people's attention, listeners who don't know you will rarely make it through a mix to find the scratchy bits etc which the DJ has put most time into, unless they were impressed by the intro. I always think if I don't grab people's attention with the first track or intro they're unlikely to persevere to the end. If they listen for music content then I may as well be making an unmixed podcast, so if you're going to take the time to scratch and trickmix get a lot in at the beginning.

I've found that mixes with a bit of a theme and perhaps artwork tend to get more interest, worth putting the time into.

You do some nice trick mixing with snare sounds but I would probably say there's a bit much of the pressing the start button effect. For my tastes once or twice is nice but I do try to vary my transitions if I'm not mixing the next track in - Just my opinion though of course. Also watch out for keeping everything in time if you do stop the music suddenly, if the restart's not in time re-do it and edit it out. Remember everyone's making their "mix" on ableton these days and the computer's doing all the work so people aren't used to not-quite-perfectly in time sounds anymore and are less forgiving!

Also I would say use that start button effect only at the end of a bar, any earlier and doesn't sound right.

I'm forever trying to make my basic scratches that I can use to bring in tracks sound better (babies and chirps) so I'd say work a bit on those for a bit of variation as you're clearly able with the mixing and some turntablism aspects already. I spend hours cutting up two copies of the same record and just working on the scratches to bring the other one in, and listen a lot to people like Mr Thing or the X-Ecutioners who have really funky chirps and it makes their mixes sound really good...Very few DJs could say they couldn't get better at that...

Some hopefully constructive feedback but I enjoyed it, keep putting them out as there's always an audience for good hip hop..Here's definitely a good place to get quality feedback too. I got a lot of handy tips from Steve, hopefully he chips in too!

Thanks for taking time to give such detailed feed back, it's very much appreciated!