Forgotten Transform pattern!

Karol

Hi guys. I'm new to the forums. I'm watching this video

over and over again and can't figure out those crazy old-school transformer scratch patterns. What does flare do at 4:57-5:07 , 5:57-6:07

and here "the beatbox scratch"

0:20 this shit sounds i so cool. I've been scratching 3 years and can't even do the stuff that DJs in the 80s did ;0 By the way, why every tutorial on scratching basics for example baby tear stab and forward must be so poor when it comes to patterns and combos? I watch a video of a stab scratch and a guy from dj academy just explains a technique for 5 minutes and stabs the record is the slowest and the most borring way for another 10 minutes.
  • Like 2

By the way, why every tutorial on scratching basics for example baby tear stab and forward must be so poor when it comes to patterns and combos? I watch a video of a stab scratch and a guy from dj academy just explains a technique for 5 minutes and stabs the record is the slowest and the most borring way for another 10 minutes.

True dat. I think people get fixated on learning new more complex patterns rather than focusing on the endless other variations of other scratches you can learn. i.e. people can autobahn before they can swing their stabs :o

To answer your question;

4:57-5:07 sounds like 2 forwards, 3 back, 2 forwards 5 back, 2 forwards 4 back etc... More clicks on the back than the forwards with some funky patterns with only a couple of clicks on the forward and back at the end.

5:57-6:07 he's manipulating the record to be on different spots and samples, so he's stabbing on the blap, then transforming to the chirp sound, then stabbing again then using the transformer scratch to move to the next sound. Basically just practice transforming and transitioning to different samples.

The beat box scratch is just the same as above except on drums, so you're basically drumming and then chucking in transformers too on the get busy ya'll.

I'd go as far as to say three years isn't that long.... I can recommend learning "pincer style" on the cross fader for transformers. Ie, holding the fader closed with your thumb (if you're regular) and tapping it for your clicks. It kind of makes it like a transform button. Then you can even count the number of clicks you want in your head on a forward movement like, 12, and then a backs wards one 123, forwards 12, backwards 1234 etc. Hope that makes sense. Don't forget to swing your scratches too, i.e. don't just click the fader on beat, imagine you're Bootsy Collins then click the fader :p

I'm sure someone else can chime in with another approach.

By the way, why every tutorial on scratching basics for example baby tear stab and forward must be so poor when it comes to patterns and combos? I watch a video of a stab scratch and a guy from dj academy just explains a technique for 5 minutes and stabs the record is the slowest and the most borring way for another 10 minutes.

True dat. I think people get fixated on learning new more complex patterns rather than focusing on the endless other variations of other scratches you can learn. i.e. people can autobahn before they can swing their stabs :o

You're right! I do not say boomerangs or delayed orbit combos don't sound cool because they do actually but, there are plenty of cool variations of simple scratches that are to be learnt! Today everything is all about advanced combos Most DJs out there hardly ever use basic techniques. If I do prefer old-school style to new-school style does it mean I'm a wack scratch Dj?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVgZUR7QZUc&feature=youtu.be&t=3m22s

(How do you embed with a specific start point??)

This worked for me when I tried it once, don't know if it will work on this forum though http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/10/how-to-specify-start-and-stop-times-in-new-youtube-embed-code.html

Today everything is all about advanced combos Most DJs out there hardly ever use basic techniques. If I do prefer old-school style to new-school style does it mean I'm a wack scratch Dj?

The best DJs to me are the ones that have a wide scratch vocabulary comprised of old and new techniques. I think this D-Styles video is a great example: -

He's doing transform patterns similar to the ones you posted, as well as other old techniques (the forward/reverse baby scratch combo is something Mixmaster Ice used to do on U.T.F.O. records back in the mid-80s, for instance), combined with newer, more complex ones.

Obviously, in his case, he started scratching in the 80s himself, so he's been inspired by loads of scratch DJs of all eras, and he's been able to consistently get better while a lot of other DJs from that era hit their peak skill level much earlier.

• Like 4

Yeah thats one of my favourite videos ^

I think one tip is to think in terms of rhythm as much, or even more than 'techniques'. ie. 8ths,16ths,32nd, triplets, swing, tied notes & rests.

The first transformer example is a combination of 8th notes forwards & 16th notes backwards for example.

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Karol, I would highly recommend you checking out DJ Chile scratch tutorials, there are very informative and he breaks it down very well. I've learnt new things on scratches I can already do and remembered a lot of stuff on techniques and patterns I've forgotten.

Edited by Psychedelic Schizophrenic
  • Like 1

Yeah man I watch this dude's tutorial regularly they are awesome I thouht I was good at flares unti I saw how many variations of og flare One click and orbits he demonstrates! Really helped me a lot.

• Like 1