When the records you're selling on ebay are kind of a big deal

DJ Rock Well

My Dad owns a lot of expensive classical lps,some he's paid quite a bit for,but a good majority have come from charity shops and market stalls tbh.there are some very desirable box sets in paticular hes acquired for next to nothing and they were mint condition as well..

Its like any collector of a paticular genre I suppose ,you get to know whats rare and desirable if you're passionate about it,my Dad wouldnt know how to find a rare funk 45 even if one hit him in the face but he's like a peregrine falcon when it comes to finding rare Mozart on vinyl lol

Classical records are a totally split market Dirk, they're either worth a fortune or nothing.

The earliest English stereo issues on Decca (and a couple of other good labels) were expensive at the time and a special order to boot. These are from '58 and bear in mind that most music didn't accept stereo as the norm until about '67. These first Decca stereo LPs though are generally considered about the best vinyl pressing ever, if you can find them in perfect condition of course. So yeah, like Dan says, if you're into hifi and classical music these are killer. These records also were recorded during something of a sweet spot where many great performers were still alive and the recording techniques were that golden analogue period where they were finally clear enough but not too clinical, etc. Decca made their own custom gear to record, mix and master these in fact. So yeah, for many these records were the pinnacle in playing, recording and vinyl mixing, mastering and pressing. Throw in how rare they are and you get to big numbers pretty quick.

A lot of dealers still don't know their classical LPs that well though and as most of them aren't worth anything, they do get missed in charity shops and boot sales some times.

Yeah its the black label SLX Decca pressings that are super collectible plus the first HMV label ones as well,also some classical lps on early Columbia records are highly prized and then theres the Deutsch Gramophone stereo ones that fetch very good prices...so next time you're out digging for records it might be worth investigating the classical bins as well kids

Yeah its the black label SLX Decca pressings that are super collectible plus the first HMV label ones as well,also some classical lps on early Columbia records are highly prized and then theres the Deutsch Gramophone stereo ones that fetch very good prices...so next time you're out digging for records it might be worth investigating the classical bins as well kids

Yeah, that's sort of it Dan. Although there are other labels too like some of the early Argos and RCA Living Stereo series, which were the first good classical stereo LPs sold in the US... So good in fact they had to get Decca to press then here and ship them over the pond.

Also, it gets a bit more involved with each issue. For instance, Decca, apart from the black label (which counts for anything up to the first 5 pressings of a title), they need to be 'Wideband' which refers to the big inboxed Decca logo. Even within Widebands they're 3 label variations and one potential additional sleeve variation that denotes pressing - only the first pressing are ever rally worth the big bucks and even then there are first issues of ones that fit the criteria but sold well so are worth very little. Same if it's not particularly collectable music like organ works and even a lot of operas. Violin and cello prices often do the biggest numbers and whatever they are, certain players and conductors are the ones to watch out for, others just aren't collected. In reality, if you see old stereo classical LPs in good condition it's probably best just to google then these days - you'll see what they're going for and the criteria of a first pressing, etc.

Also, the world is changing. Until recently digital Dutch pressed Decca records (mostly from the 80s) were worthless. But two weeks ago I sold one by Kyung Wha Chung from '87 on eBay and got £175 for it!!!

• Like 2

ooh i got a lil stack of stuff like that in nice condition, tchaikovski, mozart, beethoven, all found in a litter bin in the city centre, should look up their worth....

10 out of the 12 I had finishing today have now ended and sold for £3,230 collectively. There's still two to finish after I go home and three more tomorrow - none of which will be huge numbers, but all together they'll definitely clear three and a half grand. Not bad for fifteen LPs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another big one I've just turned up that boot fair heads should look our for

It needs to have this label design

Last year a copy of this in Mint condition went for around £3,500 and it has more consistently sold for £2000-£2,500 in recent times. Sadly this one I have is only really in VG condition so won't be making four figures, but hopefully at least a couple of hundred.

• Like 1