Pioneer DJM-909 replacements parts no more

I ordered a replacement crossfader for my DJM-909 and Sapphires have spent the last month trying to find out why it's taking so long to leave Pioneer's warehouses. Finally got a call today saying that replacement parts for the 909 have been discontinued, along with the mixer itself. Fantastic.

I was thinking about paying double the amount for an Innofader but I've heard a few horror stories involving fried circuits and I'm no engineer so I guess I'll have to soldier on with this fader and see if I can track another one down elsewhere.

Just thought I'd let y'all know in case you weren't aware.

I have an innofader in my 909. It's actually the innofader that was made specifically for it. I believe you can use the new inno pro 2 in the 909.

Don't be skerd, the new inno pro 2 is protected so that it wont short out. The inno I have now has electrical tape around it to avoid any possible short circuits.

On another note I do have the original cross fader sitting in a bin. I was hoping to use it as a portable fader but I'm not that much of an electrician. I could possibly sell it to you, but you know, if my inno craps out on me I'd be faderless. My faderless scratches aren't that great.

Guest rasteri

Yeah most people who fry their mixer by installing an inno just weren't reading the instructions properly. But that's not really an issue for the 909 version because it only fits that one mixer so there's not too many options to fuck up.

I can't find any info that says the inno pro 2 can fit the 909, email audioinnovate and ask them.

Thanks for the responses. I didn't even know there was an Innofader 2!

Now comes part 2 of this post. The reason I am looking to replace the crossfader is because it makes a nasty popping sound when I cut, unless I adjust the curve so that it cuts in slightly later. I can put up with this but it leaves some of my clicks sounding a bit soft. It doesn't bleed or anything like that.

What I don't know is whether the problem lies in the crossfader component or the mixer itself. I guess I won't know until I try but if one of you or someone else know the answer, you could save me a lot of hassle!

Cheers,

Joe

Guest rasteri

Ah... it probably isn't your crossfader then, I think clicks/pops were a known issue with all of the 707/909 mixers (as well as a few others like the ecler HAK series, see here : http://forums-archive.pioneerdj.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9491012904/m/3931044014).

It's caused by the sound being cut out too quickly, this is something I struggled with for ages when designing my own scratch circuits. It's really hard to design a mixer that both cuts the sound out fast enough and doesn't make nasty pops and clicks.

That said, adding an innnofader might fix the problem because it has a small amount of decay in its fader output.

Thanks mate, you saved me a few quid there! I think I'll just leave it for now.

What strikes me as odd is that it doesn't seem to affect all units. There are some people on the forums saying that they haven't noticed the problem but mine is definitely suffering. Weird.

One other thing I find is that I need to wait at least 30 mins after switching the mixer on before the fader loosens up. Until then it's stiff and difficult to cut with, although it's not so bad in the summer.

That sucks they stopped making the parts but yeah, for the fader go with an inno. Kinda hard to adjust at first... I think Jon helped me but it's way better. I don't hear any pops personally. I always felt something sounded weird on the original fader but wouldn't describe it as a pop... just weird. Or if you really want I can sell you my old 909 fader.

If you really think it'll fix the problem you can have it for free. Just pay shipping. But if you think it's an issue with the fader design itself I'll just keep it as a backup and you should get an inno.

Thanks but I don't think it'll work, as Rasteri says above. I don't want to waste any money on shipping and I don't want to do you out of a backup crossfader for nothing!

The problem seems to be that you get a popping sound on a fader with a super tight cut-in. When I adjust the curve it goes away, so I'm happy with this as a workaround. If I can get someone to lend me an Innofader (long shot), I'll give it a try but I don't think I should risk buying one.

Guest rasteri

Yeah that's an annoying thing about pioneer kit is they put these tiny SMD microfuses everywhere that are a pain to find. I normally just replace them with PTCs.