For those of you that play out on the regular...

JHouse

Guest rasteri

FLAC when I can, but 320k mp3s are acceptable too.

BTW FLACs are lossless, they sound exactly the same as WAVs. I had an argument with another DJ about this last weekend, he swore he would never play FLACs because WAVs "just sound better".

Turned out he had got all his WAVs by converting them from youtube rips anyway...

• Like 2

Guest broke

I get AIFF files if I can, or I get WAV files and convert them to AIFF in iTunes. The file size etc is more or less the same as WAV, but the AIFF format retains all the metadata. In fact, I think I might have found that out thanks to DV.

If I can't get AIFF or WAV, I'll get FLAC. And if I can't get FLAC, I will play mp3 but only 320 CBR.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

theres a mac app called Spek that Dooban told me about, it lets you load up your tune and see it on a spectrum, which is a pretty decent way of seeing if it's suffering from being a shitty rip disguised as a wav...

http://spek.cc/

All really good info, thanks.

I kept trying to find wav files of certain pop tracks, but they're usually only available on CD and I don't want the whole album. So, I joined an MP3 record pool recently, mostly all 320k files, but not sure if they're CBR.They sound pretty good, however, still really hurt my ears when I use headphones. Oh yeah, and they sound mad flat.

On that note, anybody recommend some legit records pools with quality files?

Beat junkies got a record pool now, it's not bad actually.

I actually use ALAC in a lot of my files, I was using that before FLAC became accepted serato. It's basically the same though

Yeah Spec's pretty tiny programme and easy.

• 5 weeks later...

Shortly after I posted this thread, I updated Traktor, and damn, now it sounds awesome. Definitely not having the mind numbing issues any longer when playing MP3's. The last couple Traktor updates have been pretty nice.