DV confessional

Guest petesasqwax

You know what's immensely annoying? My beat mate when I was 16 was a fucking astoundingly good bassist who has gone on to make a great living as a musician, working with amazing artists (as well as shit but very rich and popular ones). He offered to teach me bass 20yrs ago and I decided not to bother because I knew he'd always be better than me so I pursued something else

I did the same thing except with computers. Domain Admin and stuff like that. Friend and I were both dropouts. I was a cook and he started doing that. My thought was "Nah, at least with cooking I'm not gonna starve." Now he's raking it in and living in San Fran. Whap whap.

Guest petesasqwax

Word - I'm not saying I could've done what he does (even if i had got the chance to, some of the major people he's worked with I would've stabbed, no question about it, but it earned him a nice chunk of cash). What's for sure, though, I'd be playing the living shit out of my bass already. Fuck it, though - plenty of time to learn. Same with drums, Joe...

I think there is always an element of "grass is always greener" (maybe not quite the right phrase). I wish I had spent my leisure time doing x, y or z etc. It's natural I think. To me it reinforces the point that you should ideally have an interesting / satisfying job - as then you never feel guilty about wasting time watching TV.

I'd love to be much better at maths, could be better at scratching for sure, still haven't got amazingly good at programming. I've come to terms with the fact this is true, and try just to enjoy those kind of things and set mini goals / give them a break if you need to. I count myself lucky that I have a job which is more interesting than it is tedious, and that it's a continuous learning kind of thing anyway (being in R&D).

ill make a deal wit y'all ill teach

Joe the drums, Dirk piano and Pete

the bass if in exchange you guys can

teach me a backsliding turkey cut or

whatever the fuck its called lol I

guarantee youll be masters of your

chosen instruments before ive even

managed

to nail it probably

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Lol - give me about 20 mins and I'll teach you my entire repertoire, mate ;)

With a bit of luck I should finally start getting some time to get over your place after Easter too

• Like 1

Cool man...we need to hook up soon.

cant wait for the sunny weather to

come back so we can throw some grub

on the bbq and get outside and live

a little bit again,im sick of freezing

my nuts off now

No probs there Pete ive had plenty

of veggie mates over the years so I

can think of loads of things we can

chuck on a barbie mate

Motherfucking

Vegan kebabs to go or GTFO...punks!..actually

you've got my intrest now ,are you a vegan

because of dietry ,religious or ethical reasons ?

Interesting stuff, particularly the bit about the Akai S2000 samplers :d Actually, I did once buy one on eBay for £17 (local pickup) and got it home to find it had the 8-Output board and the FX board in it. These are the same ones that go in the MPCs, so I took them out and sold them on eBay for £240! So Dan - tell your son to check his ones.

I've never really lost interest in scratching, although I don't practice it nearly enough these days. I only have so much time and there's other things I want to do as well, mostly making beats these days when I'm on my own. Luckily I have friends around me who do cut, so I keep my hand in (ish) a couple of times a week that way. For me, it's definite social thing these days although I'd like to start integrating it into production as well now. Ultimately, I'm never going to be a hardcore awe inspiring shredder - beyond natural talent and it's limitations, I'd have to dedicate so much time (and probably the health of my hands) to get there and there's just other stuff I wanna do as well. Scratching has always been a big thing in music I love, but I want to know how to make the whole album, not just the cuts on it.

Dan - I'm glad you were eventually able to get back to music in some way after losing your brother. That must have been so hard when that was such a strong connection between you. I watched my dad go through something a little similar... He's always been crazy about music and apart from collecting it and going to and putting on gigs, he used to play too when I was a little kid. He was never the world's greatest by any means, but him and his good friend Martin would play guitars all the time at our house. Martin sang as well and they'd do a few little gigs. It was mostly for fun though and there were always sessions going on in our front room for the early part of my life. Then one day Martin hung himself and that was the end of it. He always kept his two guitars and for a little while he'd occasionally pick one up, but eventually even that stopped and they hung on the wall as ornaments. It was probably the best part of 25 years before he eventually started again. Some of his friends a few years back were just learning and started having these folk jam sessions for a few local people which he started going to. It was just for fun and playing different music what he used to play. Eventually through these he met this American mandolin player and singer called Vic who he gets on well with and for the last few years my Mum and Dad's front room has started sounding like it used to again. I'm very pleased for him indeed.

• Like 1

Oh mate thats brilliant

And your parents sound like lovley folks..

this is what musics all about for me

when it touches

us all in so many different ways no matter what style or genre it is ,and the people

who make it for the love of it are always

the best types to be around and learn from

in my opinion..

Yeah, they're good folks. My dad is definitely where I got my love of music from too. Even after he stopped playing himself there was always records being played and a lot of his friends are musicians. One way or another I was getting influenced before I ever really even knew it.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah, that's awesome Matt. My folks were never into playing anything but they always encouraged us (my sister and I) and they had a half decent record collection to riffle through. I got my Moog Indigo record and Moog Plays The Beatles from their record collection as well as a disco double LP set which had Rappers Delight on it (this shit is so much funnier if you know my folks).

On a side note: in the last hour I've learned the C major scale (and found it at various octaves up and down the fretboard); used it to figure out Duelling Banjos and elements of the Star Wars theme and understood both how high my bass should be/how my hands should be positioned & how to use all 4 fingers in order to best work out where the note intervals are. I could've done that at any point in the last fuck-knows-how-many years! I'm not focusing on that part, though - I've learned it now and we're off & running

• Like 1

This is so much better

than going to church..lol

hey kids! musics better than any

religion or drugs ..this thread

is one hot potato,thank you father Sasqwax

for letting the flock confess

Guest petesasqwax

Ps dont ever hold your bass under your chin

Youll look like a jazz funk cunt like

what Mark King is from Level 42!

Lol - words to live by, man!

• Like 1

I use battered old needles, my old 06pro and bargain turntables. My records are dirty and full of hand druff.

If I fall out of love or practice, I just keep the gear and don't use it. If the urge comes I get back on the stuff. I've not connected my gear since sss and didn't really practice before that, but it's no biggy for me because its always there if the passion comes back.

• Like 1

I've owned my setup since 2004 and was doing my regular scratch/beatmaking combo. Then, somewhere around 2008 I felt really attracted to beatmaking, stacked away my TTs for 5 years and went on to an unbelievable shopping spree of samplers/drum machines which ended in me owning a 2kxl, an SP1200, an ASR-10, an MPC60, couple of rack samplers and various little fx boxes, all bought within 2 years.

I sold everything, besides the 2kxl, in 2013.

I just felt that I've completed my circle in beatmaking and I was looking around to find something else to focus on. Then I remembered I had a couple of TTs stacked away...I took them out, bought myself a Serato interface and a PMC08 and restarted scratching. It's been the best fucking period of my music life since that. I can now take advantage of all the accumulated knowledge in beatmaking and apply that to my scratching.

I don't feel anything's wasted, but most certainly I can't go on forever with something I'm not feeling anymore.

No regrets.

• Like 1

I have a pair of tt500's I paid £100 for. Strong motors and straight arms. Good enough for heavy home use all day long.

Of course many people will tell you there are vestax etc which is also true. A deck worth £50 can be stored without thinking I'm sat on something worth selling for more sensible things. :)

Ive never really rated the decks

that vestax made tbh ,I always thought

they felt a bit hollow sounding and I

hated the plasticated look of them as well

They looked almost toy like.IMO. I could've had Deeswifts ones but I gave them to my son and the O5 (?) Vestax mixer as well,...I do actually own one of the gold plated 1200 technics decks but its kinda on long term loan to my Dad at the moment,so thats why I want something cheapish but solid,will check the tt500s (numark?) then and see what they're all about..

cheers eric man