Street Fighter V game reviews - WTF?

Steve

Games journalism has been fucked up for a long time, but I don't understand what's going on with a lot of the reviews for this game, which recently launched for PC and PS4.

When you play through the single player game as a particular character, there are no cut scenes. You just get anime stills. Completing a character's story unlocks a costume that you can get from the in-game store, except the store is not present in the game. Capcom are going to patch it in some time in March.

There's no arcade mode at all. Online battle lobbies only support 2 players. Again, they're supposedly patching in 8 player lobbies and spectator mode some time in March.

There's a challenge mode that includes 4 sub-modes. Battle tips, trials, targets and extra battles. None of these modes are currently in the game and again - they're being patched in at a later date.

The online servers are fucked. People are not able to find matches, or they get dropped from a match part way through. If a player rage quits, there's no punishment whatsoever. If you get disconnected from the servers while playing survival mode, all of your progress is lost and you have to start again.

Also, there's only 16 characters in the game, with more being released over the coming months.

Despite all of this, the game currently has a Metacritic rating of 82, which means the average score given to it by gaming websites is 8.2/10. WTF? A review of a game should be a review of a game in the state it's in, not based on the promise of future content that'll be patched in. Sure, if they patch a ton of stuff in and fix the servers over the next couple of months, re-review it and up the score, but 12 of the 48 reviews have given it a score of 9/10 or above, which is a total joke.

They will make you drop $$$ for the rest of the characters and modes. And a week after you buy everything they will announce Super Street Fighter V with some minor changes and make you drop $$$ again. And then they will make and Arcade Edition. And then Ultra. And then more $$$ in however way they come up to milk the player.

Yes, I'm salty because I LOVED (and still love) Street Fighter 3: Third Strike and don't like the direction they have taken after it.

I assume the characters won't be free, but I believe the modes are.

It seems odd to release the game in February and announce that a bunch of missing modes will be patched in some time in March. Why not just release it in March when it's finished?

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Yes, I'm salty because I LOVED (and still love) Street Fighter 3: Third Strike and don't like the direction they have taken after it.

Still playing Street Fighter II Turbo to this day

I've debated buying the arcade version of the Champion Edition many times but always come to the conclusion that I'll never play it unless people are over, and then they won't want to play me because I own the shit. It's still a tempting buy though.

I assume the characters won't be free, but I believe the modes are.

It seems odd to release the game in February and announce that a bunch of missing modes will be patched in some time in March. Why not just release it in March when it's finished?

From what I gather it's because there's going to be a big focus on the game at this year's competitions, so they wanted to get the basic game mode out as early as possible so players could get practicing, and then add content along the way.

Seems a weird approach to doing things though, surely a complete product would be the better option. I understand the holding back of characters to maintain interest though.

That arcade pic reminds me of my dream to buy a fruit machine. How much does one of those cabinets cost Jam? This could be my next collectable hobby.

I think a Street Fighter II runs between $500-$800 in the U.S. In Europe I think things tend to run a little more because the market is totally different. Prices have gone up across the board and are rising faster on this late 80's early 90's stuff because the kids that played them back in the day are coming of age. It used to be that games like Pacman, Donkey Kong, Robotron, etc. brought a little bit of money but the 90's stuff was dirt cheap. Now the classics have gotten pretty expensive and the 90's stuff is costing what the classics used to cost.

But yo, if you have the space and are willing to work on the games when they break down then it's some pretty cool shit.

I suppose instead of buying the GAE Technics for £6K I could get one of these;

https://www.homeleisuredirect.com/arcade_machines/classic_arcade_machines/nu-gen-elite-arcade-machine.html

Those definitely look slick but the "heads" in the arcade collecting "scene" pretty much universally dis multi-cades as overpriced and not as good as the originals. For example, you don't want a hi-def screen for a game like Donkey Kong because it looks like shit. Old games had analog sound so you need the original boards to get that. A lot games had crazy controls like 2-way sticks (Mario Bros.) diagonal sticks (Q*Bert) trackballs (Missile Command), etc. For a game like Street Fighter, the sticks and buttons have to be "right" for that game.

The multicades are pretty much seen as a way for people to make money off rubes who don't know better. And for 6000 you could buy a really good pinball title and you'd probably spend more time playing that than all your arcade games combined.

A friend of mine has one of those multi-cade machines and it's awesome. His housewarming party descended into a Street Fighter tournament, with some random woman who'd never played before taking the whole thing out with her mash-the-buttons-wildly technique, confirming what I'd long suspected about fighting games i.e. there's no skill involved whatsoever.

I hate to disagree with Jam Burglar, but don't be so quick to dismiss the multi-cade. The so-called purists or "heads" that JB was referring to are most likely borderline Chasing Ghosts types... you don't want to go down that road. Yeah it's not going to be quite the same, but when was the last time you played one of the OG machines? A long time ago, right? I'm willing to bet that in 2016 you won't notice the difference. The (obvious) attraction of the multi-cade is that they come with pretty much everything from your youth. Xevious? Yep. 1942? Check. Moon Patrol. You bet. A quick game or Trog? Or maybe some Gauntlet? It's all there and I think that'll mean it gets a lot more use (IMO).

Back to the original post, Street Fighter V sounds like another in a long line of rushed releases. The consumer has become the beta tester.

Guest petesasqwax

Surely you could build a multicade easily enough, though. You could do it for a grand using a much bigger screen with proper arcade controllers. A mate of mine did it at the dojo I train at and it's absolutely awesome. Cost him next to nothing - just an old PC he had already (pretty decent spec, as it was his old gaming PC that he has since upgraded) so the bulk of the cost was the TV and the dual arcade joystick

I'm going to wait and see on Street Fighter V. Sorry for highjacking your shit sir. I'll stop after the following obsessionist nonsense.

Broke, you're shittin' in my mouth and calling it a Sundae! Just kidding. I would say for the casual person who doesn't know any better they probably would be fine with a multicade. Personally, for me, ever since I was younger, I was into video games, trying whatever, it didn't matter the name. $1000s of my dollars have in poured into all types of games tryin' to get the high score. So Q*Bert without the knocker, or Donkey Kong with out the right funky-ass walk sounds always unnerved me. Early Nintendo games have that loosey joystick with 4-way or 2-way restrictors so playing with those 8-way spongy shits on a multi-cade make the play a little weird. When you play on the real shit vs. the multi-cade it really sticks out. Vector games like Star Wars, Tempest need that vector monitor and the right controls to be any fun. Playing Paperboy with joystick ain't right. You need a wheel for Spy Hunter and the gear shift. Etc. Whatever you do, don't pay $8,500 for a multi-cade. It's very easy to take a generic arcade cab and convert it into a multi-cade and use a correct CRT/RGB monitor, get decent sticks and buttons, etc. It might cost like $600.

Just don't do this to try to make so you can play every single game

Mamestrosity.jpg

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

I've debated buying the arcade version of the Champion Edition many times but always come to the conclusion that I'll never play it unless people are over, and then they won't want to play me because I own the shit. It's still a tempting buy though.

That fucking dope :d

Been thinking of making a retro gaming PC box, filled up with my favourite games from yesteryears :8

Do any of you remember an arcade version of Street Fighter with massive rubber buttons, and the harder you hit the buttons, the more damage you did? We had one in an arcade here for a short time. It was shit compared to the regular version, but that was the only place I ever saw one.

Steve that was the original version of the original street fighter, and the fact it ended up breaking after a week because of abuse gave birth to the 6 button layout.

I have always wanted a Japanese candy cabinet, a nice big sit down. My ideal situation is a vs city cab with 3rd strike but it requires friends unfortunately.