Top 30 beatmakers of all time

djdiggla

Mixed feelings on this list. Aight tho. Didn't we do a GOAT Producers poll? Couldn't find it but was curious how we ranked everyone.

http://www.beattips.com/beattips/2014/10/beattips-top-30-beatmakers-of-all-time-complete-list.html

#30 • Statik Selektah

#29 • Dame Grease
#28 • True Master
#27 • Bink
#26 • The Beatnuts
#25 • DJ Khalil
#24 • Havoc (of Mobb Deep)
#23 • Rick Rubin
#22 • 9th Wonder
#21 • Alchemist
#20 • Buckwild
#19 • Madlib
#18 • Nottz
#17 • Prince Paul
#16 • DJ Paul and Juicy J
#15 • Kev Brown
#14 • Showbiz
#13 • DJ Tomp
#12 • Just Blaze
#11 • The Neptunes
#10 • Q-Tip and Ali Shaheed Muhammad (of A Tribe Called Quest)
#9 • J Dilla
#8 • The Bomb Squad (Hank Shocklee, Eric “Vietnam” Sadler, Keith Shocklee, Chuck D)
#7 • Kanye West
#6 • Dr. Dre
#5 • Large Professor
#4 • Pete Rock
#3 • RZA
#2 • Marley Marl
#1 • DJ Premier

Seen worse, many would be on my list. I'm not taking account of the order though.

I'm surprised not to see Timbaland on there - he's done some shocking shit in recent years but he was pioneering once and I think he deserves recognition even it you're not into his sound.

I could throw out loads of names to add to this if I was making my own list (which might get longer than 30)... first ones that come to mind Beat Minerz, Alchemist, Organized Noise, Muggs, Marco Polo, Damu, Hi-Tek, Erick Sermon, Just Blaze, No ID, Dangermouse, Jazzy Pha, J-Swift, Questlove, Mannie Fresh, Thes One, Evidence... and what about some British ones? They're never getting on lists like this, but for my own listening pleasure and for just inspiring me, Skitz, The Sea, Joe Buhdha, Mark B, Si Spex, Dag Nabbit, Vadim and many more.

I guess with lists it depends wether it's about how much you enjoy the music personally or wether you get into how they influenced the whole scene.

• Like 1

^^True that. List is a couple years old too. Here was their criteria... which IDK if that makes it better or worse considering... Imean, Timbo like you were saying... no way you can say he didn't have MASSIVE critical acclaim, influence, impact, and pretty much everyone wanted to work with him.

(1) Body of work. Without the work speaking for itself, there could be no serious consideration of any beatmaker who made this list. And while I did not deem it necessary that each beatmaker on the list had a massive catalog, the sheer number of beats (recognized and respected songs) of certain beatmakers could not be ignored. Therefore, a larger body of acclaimed work was appropriately given more preference. Also, special attention was paid to how many songs a beatmaker had within the cannon of hip hop/rap music, as well as whether or not a beatmaker contributed to the career of another pivotal hip hop/rap artist’s career. I should further add that the body of work that I've considered here is hip hop/rap only! Whether a beatmaker could or did produce music outside of the hip hop/rap genre had no bearing on where I ranked them with respect to hip hop/rap music. If I were ranking all-time horror film directors, it would be silly to include the comedic works of those directors as consideration in where they should be ranked. Likewise, neo-soul, drum-n-bass, dub step, etc. has no influence on a hip hop/rap ranking.
(2) Critical acclaim for a clearly distinguishable and/or signature sound. Preference was given (as I believe it should have been), to those beatmakers who either established their own well-recognized signature sound or contributed considerably to one or more of the eight distinct periods of beatmaking (In The BeatTips Manual, I examine and detail all eight periods).
(3) Minimum of at least three critically acclaimed (not just top sellers) songs, albums, collaborative works, etc. within the last 30 years. Part of being a standout in any art medium is recognition within the field. Sometimes this means big hits, other times it means well-respected songs that most skilled beatmakers know of or appreciate for what they are. And note: this particular criteria reflects the reality that some of the best in any given field are overlooked for various reasons. However, this does not diminish their work. Moreover, history is loaded with artists who didn’t get their proper appreciation until late in or well after their careers.
(4) The number of lyrically acclaimed rappers — in their prime — who rapped over their beats, and/or the subsequent “classic” songs created over the last 30 years. This is of particular importance for two reasons. First, it serves as proof as a particular beatmaker’s automatic place in the canon of hip hop/rap music. Second, it demonstrates the popularity and respect of a beatmaker among the best rhymers of their and other times.
(5) Real, not misperceived, impact and influence on other top beatmakers
of all time. Everybody has to be influenced by someone. But who influenced most of the beatmakers on the BeatTips Top 30 Beatmakers of All-Time list? Not surprisingly, many influenced each other.
(6) Real, not misperceived, overall impact (or likely impact) on the beatmaking tradition. In other words, what was their recognizable impact on the beatmaking tradition itself? For instance, what developments, styles, techniques, ideas, etc. did they contribute to the beatmaking tradition?
(7) Longevity. How long was a beatmaker able to maintain his career. For various reasons, some beatmaker’s careers were cut short, while others have continued to blossom since they first began. Thus, longevity wasn’t measured in a sheer number of years, but in terms of body of work within the frame of time a beatmaker made his name. Think of it this way: Jimi Hendrix’s entire body of work is just four years…
(8) Projected influence and impact on future beatmakers. Of course, this is speculation at best. No one can predict the future. Still, we can recognize the lasting contributions made to the beatmaking tradition by certain beatmakers.

I really like Paul but as Steve (?) has pointed out before a lot of the stuff people (myself included) associate him with weren't actually produced by him.

What ? no mention of dj shadow,that # 30 list is definitely missing his name,the beats on entroducing and the private press are sick as hell and have a very natural feeling to them which a lot of others dont get right,personally id have Shocklee and the bomb squad right at the very top of that list myself, Hank was way ahead of his time back in the day for me,actually there is a great article on his recording techniques in sound on sound magazine that you can read online,its well worth a look at

• Like 3

You are absolutely spot on there Rock , Shadows made shitloads of very cool beats for rappers and if anybody says nay lol just tell em to go and listen to Guns Blazing from the pyscience fiction album or the early Soulsides breaks he did or the sleeping with the enemy lp by Paris even,theres tons of dope stuff of his like that..

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah I saw that,no Erick Sermon and no Eric B for that matter either , that surely cant be right can it ?

Eric B is at #5 and also the unmentioned Paul C RIP