Unheard of Instruments in the Saxophone Family

djdiggla

This is super cool. I love seeing rare instruments and these are especially cool. The slide sax is probably my favorite solely because I could never get my fingering down on the sax. The tubax (sp?) sounded beautiful tho and I loved the Black Sabbath riff they played on it.

• Like 3

Hey dj diggla thats terrific man ! Do You know Rashaan Roland Kirk ? He played an instrument called the strich and Bernie Maupin from the headhunters played a huge thing called a saxcello on some of their records back in the 70s.

Hey dj diggla thats terrific man ! Do You know Rashaan Roland Kirk ? He played an instrument called the strich and Bernie Maupin from the headhunters played a huge thing called a saxcello on some of their records back in the 70s.

Man! Never heard--sounds dope! I love stuff like that.

check out the thrust album by herbie hancock( from 1976 i think) the headhunters back him on it and bernie Maupin is all over that motherfucker like a rash oh and they back him on the herbie album manchild as well from around the same time 75 ish i think. maybe later even. Roland kirk was awesome and very Original also he put some great funky fusion breaky stuff out in the 70s as well

• Like 1

No problem at all :d

Kirk's Strich just seems to be a particularly vivid manifestation of it!

I totally agree with you on that it is very strange i must say. What drugs do you think he was taking by the way ? And are they any good hahaha

Guest petesasqwax

Ha - I got massively into Herbie Hancock thanks to the Headhunters LP. I went out and bought Manchild, Thrust and a few others and they're all awesome stuff. My ears don't hanker for anything as cleanly produced as jazz very often these days, but that stuff still holds a definite place in my affections

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kirk took a lot of drugs

Off topic, but years ago I saw a video on YouTube (I think) where Kirk is playing with a super hot band, really fast crazy trippy jazz, and at one point he offers the front row of the audience what appears to be some lines of coke. The band was playing on the floor, rather than on a stage, and he just walked up to the front row with a flat thing and people in the audience appeared to sniff coke, and the band were all super sweaty and grinning like banshees. Black and white video originally from VHS I think. I've never been able to find it again but it was amazing.

• Like 1

That video of kirk is probably from "one man twins" "live at montreux jazz festival not sure what year and I dont think its on youtube anymore unfortunately which is a pity but then I would imagine they would take it down re the drug taking part lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's way cool. I have a very similar instrument made by the guy who runs http://getlofi.com(appears he does not make them anymore). I can't remember what he calls them... Monotar (single stringed guitar) or something like that. Anyways, I tried it with a slide, tried it by hand and tried using a ebow. Thought about trying a fiddle bow. Nothing was really that great aside from the slide. What this guy is doing is spot on. He's figured it out. I'm gonna have to give this style of playing it a shot. The ebow had so much potential but is too slow and finicky. I bought mine used so maybe it's just fucked up but it doesn't pickup the ebow vibrations very good unfortunately.