So... controllers anyone?

Kasbe

I was wondering (although I can imagine) what's your opinion on controllers?

I wouldn't want to use anything but turntables, but I've decided to bite the bullet and get a Vestax Spin. Why? Portability.

I can't take my turntables to the bboying spot. There's not even a plug where I can get electricity. Having a controller

will allow me to just pack the laptop and plug myself to a battery powered amp to deliver some live mixes on those days

my knee doesn't want to behave itself. I get some DJing practice and feedback, they get something better than a playlist shuffle.

That is, after I get used to jogwheels :wacko: ...

TL;DR: I wouldn't ever replace my turntables, but a portable controller might be cool to dj on the go. What about you?

Edited by Kasbe

Guest rasteri

I've used the Numark Mixtrack Pro series a lot, I really like them. They're around £150, built fairly solid and integrate with serato really nicely. They're probably what I'd use if I was into controllers.

I like the Vestax VCI 380. Bought it for the portability too. You can find them on ebay for $100-200 and the 380 comes with Serato DJ for free so seems like a great deal. I'm horrible at scratching on it but I'm not very good at scratching anyways. My only complaint is I like to use the mixer lights as a reference for EQing and they are weird on the 380...

Good to know! I like the feel of the Numark NS7 but it's so big and heavy. Never tried the SB.

Yeah the NS7 is ideal for scratching but it's a hunk of gear for sure. I've seen them in coffins and it's not as portable as many may think. But its def. not 2 1200s and a mixer. But the Pioneer controllers, more specifically the 2 channel ones feel a bit better.

But my buddy expressed his feelings spot on about controllers and gigs. "Even though they're small and portable, going to a gig(wedding) and setting up something like the VCI seems unprofessional. These people have paid you a good amount of money and you show up with this toy looking thing."

For non-pro events like summer BBQs or small Bday parties where you're not getting paid much, then yes a controller is cool. But if you're going out getting $$PAID$$, to show up with one of these small little things, man, you look like a douche.

Guest petesasqwax

For non-pro events like summer BBQs or small Bday parties where you're not getting paid much, then yes a controller is cool. But if you're going out getting $$PAID$$, to show up with one of these small little things, man, you look like a douche.

hehe - I've never thought about like that, but I would be forced to agree 100% on that

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah, I have to admit I think that video says a lot more about D-Styles than it does the video (i.e. "he can even do some pretty ill shit on THAT thing" rather than "oh damn, it's just like vinyl")

• Like 2

To be honest, I don't really see the point of something like the NS7 because it's not much difference in size from turntables so why not just have turntables? At least with the smaller controllers there's the portability. I changed my setup from CDJs and a mixer to a VCI 380 because I had no space for anything bigger but now I'm picking up a turntable and using the mixer in the VCI. If I had the space I'd have a full set up again - it all just feels a bit too small.

^^I agree with that. I'd rather just have one Numark v7 and a normal mixer than the ns7... but I guess you'd lose a lot of the functionality? IDK.

I bought a Pioneer DDJ SR last year, as there are never turntables in any bars/clubs in buenos aires.

Like if it's a certain type of gig, of course i'll lug my decks along. but if im playing early and want to leave, or if it's just a little house party or something, i'll bring the SR with me instead.

One of the best investments i've made. The response from the platter isn't bad at all and the fader's alright, I think i could change it if i need to.

Although I played at an ridiculous party with it, and i think the right hand platter is a bit fucked from a fucking bubble machine.

Plus for me, thanks to importation bans and the fucked up economy, when i sell it here i'll probably get at least what i paid for it, if not more.

@Savwar. I noticed the same at all the clubs in Cordoba around 2011-2013. All controllers and sometimes CDJ's, mostly NI Z1's.

I have the VCI 380, it's a great piece and has never failed me (although i don't use it very often) but pioneer seems to have a majority of control on the controller market in the states and I've enjoyed playing on some friend's pioneer controllers.

While I like good jogwheels and have a strong turntablist style I noticed myself using the jogwheels less and less as I used the controller more and more. I also used the FX and pads a lot.

I would personally be interested in the NI S5 or S8 IF I were to get another one since like the novation twitch just lost the jogwheels all together. But I am not sure how big they are.

So... I received the controller on Wednesday and I've been mapping it and testing it for a few days now.

It feels very different and strange, but with some practice it's not that hard to get used to it.

I don't like that software allows you to beatmatch and sync tracks with the touch of a button (when I use Traktor with the turntables I put the laptop behind me and only look at it to change tracks).

Scratching will need a lot of relearning and rewiring, I'm not very good on real turntables let alone with this thing.

But yeah, it is really portable and convenient. I see myself learning how to mix better and practicing at a faster pace than with turntables since I refuse to do things in any other way than manual mode.

I'll report when I get the chance to use this baby at the bboy spots here in Madrid.

• Like 1