Originality

Steve

I sounded more original when I started, when I could only perform transforms. Then I got into all the typical cuts, and really noticed I was sounding like many others. However, I cut with this dude awhile back that could only transform, and it really got me back into them and just being funky, not trying to kill it 25/8. Often I have to remind myself to just relax and be musical, which is when I usually revert to transforms.

• Like 1

i tihnk pitching has a lot to do with getting a nice flow and signature sound. lots of techniques can be represented and learned easily through fader movements which can easily be plotted on a graph/ttm.

record control, as mentioned earlier, is not as easy to demonstrate and theres lots of subtle stuff going on with it, tableturnsmore will talk to you for days about hand positions getting different sounds :)

I sounded more original when I started, when I could only perform transforms. Then I got into all the typical cuts, and really noticed I was sounding like many others. However, I cut with this dude awhile back that could only transform, and it really got me back into them and just being funky, not trying to kill it 25/8. Often I have to remind myself to just relax and be musical, which is when I usually revert to transforms.

That's funny - I have exactly the same thought process. Subconsciously, transforms = funky

All goes back to pitch.

• 2 weeks later...

The best method I found was to verbalise scratch sounds that you want to create, and then go create them

A lot of jazz guitarists do this while they're soloing. I sometimes find it pretty annoying/amusing if I'm on stage next to them, but the audience can't hear it so no problem. There's one guy I do gigs with, his voice sounds so weird singing along to his solo (or I guess he's soloing along to his singing actually), I wish I could record his voice and get rid of all other sounds. He sounds like a cat prostitute being strangled.

• Like 2

The best method I found was to verbalise scratch sounds that you want to create, and then go create them

A lot of jazz guitarists do this while they're soloing. I sometimes find it pretty annoying/amusing if I'm on stage next to them, but the audience can't hear it so no problem. There's one guy I do gigs with, his voice sounds so weird singing along to his solo (or I guess he's soloing along to his singing actually), I wish I could record his voice and get rid of all other sounds. He sounds like a cat prostitute being strangled.

That's a great comparison, you hear it all over jazz records - the musician vocalising the melody that's in their head whilst they play. And for me that's also great argument that the turntable is an instrument, for those who still dismiss it.