Good synth to get on the cheap?

JHouse

Don't buy a digital hardware synth, they're pointless (IMO). You're better off spending your money on VSTis.

Good cheap analogue synths I've used are the Arturia Minibrute/Microbrute, DSI Mopho, Korg MS-20 Mini

You can also sometimes get old synths like the Juno-6 for that sort of pricerange if you don't mind servicing them

https://www.dummymag.com/lists/the-10-best-synths-according-to-lv

^ a friend i produce with just wrote this article on his favourite synths, some are more affordable than others but it's a good read. Juno 106 and the korg volca are both great polys. Though the Juno is out of your budget, the volca is very affordable. I have one at home and have used it quite a lot. Also, I can't wait to hijack his Odyssey.

Thanks for the article link, it's already providing me good info. Looking for something with a minimum of 61 keys and definitely interested in the Juno's. Finding several around here for about 5 bills, so within my range. Still open to other synth's though and thanks for the input.

Peace.

what are you using it for, live or studio?

if studio and you want the 61 keys feel get a nice midi keyboard (with midi out) then you can play sounds from modules like the volca/minitaur etc with that. If you're looking for modern synths with big key ranges it gets much more expensive, whereas the module/rack versions are much cheaper but produce the same sound as their keyboard equivalent, if they have keyboard equivalents that is.

That's what I do for the most part as only a couple of my synths have keyboards. ^^

I guess studio, and definitely a midi keyboard, but want a standalone so I'm not reliant on a computer all the time. In other words, I want to use midi out sometimes, but not 258.

You guys are hitting me off with several questions I never considered. Diggity danks.

I'm super horny for the Arturia Minibrute after watching a few videos

The Novation Bass Station 2 has just had a price drop, you can get it for about 250 quid now. I regret selling me a while back and when I played with both in the shop the BS2 was a much nicer instrument.