Pull your thumb out

ericuk

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

One time when i was mucking about in Rye i managed to do a thing on the right where i was just grazing the record on the forward and backward thumb movement (like some crazy, fleshy pendulum) but just moving my hand in one direction and it was getting crazy, clean fader like clicks for each flick fwd and on the back. It was lush. Then i could never do it again. C'est la vie.

• Like 1

witchcraft! haha

would like a video if you can mang :)

^ I do a lazer type pattern in this video with it at 0:22 with two clicks over the top, but you can you do the two note tears pattern instead of course :)

I'll try to do a breakdown vid for you though

I found that on the right deck, mechanically speaking, the thumb is in a strong position to flick the record forward. It can also press down acting against the fingers to stop the record, but if I try to use my thumb to flick the record back - it can't! Not naturally anyway.

My left hand however is the total opposite. Because of the positioning on the record, my left thumb can flick the record backwards quite happily but not forward.

I'm sure there's a work around for this, quite possibly just practice, but it may be neccesary to accept that hand positioning due to left/right deck will impact what we can do and how.

To prove my theory, if anyone cuts on the left deck and happens to have a reverse sample and reverse button, try cutting in the opposite direction with your hand at 3 o'clock instead of 9 and the thumb will be in a better position to do the aforementioned flappy thumb thing.

What do y'all think?

Guest Symatic

i can kind of do an orbit by flicking the record on the backwards movement with my index finger (bitten off Qbert) and I figured a way of using my thumb to flick the record on the forward movement. looks kinda mental like my hands trying to breakdance badly, but it sounds cool if you nail it. I'm sure someones done it before me anyway :)

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

#she liiied too meeee#

Off to jail Morrison!

And that was that.

(a quick summation of his career)

i can kind of do an orbit by flicking the record on the backwards movement with my index finger (bitten off Qbert) and I figured a way of using my thumb to flick the record on the forward movement. looks kinda mental like my hands trying to breakdance badly, but it sounds cool if you nail it. I'm sure someones done it before me anyway :)

I saw it, i saw it! And have seen it! And thought about when reading the O.P.!

FYI you can do this easily pon the leff, i was trying it earlier to see if i wasn't mind lying to myself that i could do it, but then i'm leff handed so it's easier for me. Was copying Sy and mucking about with the finger flick on the way back, but wasn't doing as well as Sy, natch.

so I won't comment on the scratching, because its just sick, but the fact that I had to stare a febreeze and a green pen had me totally distracted because I then tried to make out, what else I could spot IN THAT FUCKING MESS! Clean up your room, son!

Sick stuff guys. Remember trying to learn how to do this with my left...weak...sucker...hand. I think honestly my left is just pretty good for wanking. Oh and tying surgical sutures, that my left can do too, but otherwise its a pretty lame limb.