Ortofon concords VS m44-7

Idk, probably a cliche topic to talk about

just want to ask since like 200$ dont come easy right?

so the story goes like this

I was at the redbull national finals when my stanton needles decided to fuck up and I had to change to m44s while playing!

not risking it

going with the money needles this time

Are concords really more durable than the shure m44s?

is it really worth the money?

Sound wise Ive heard ortofons sound better but irdk i never had one.

There's a ton of different Ortofon Concordes - the 'concorde' bit refers to the headshell-less, screw-directly-onto-the-tonearm design but most Ortofon carts also come in 'OM' version too, which is a standard headshell mount.

The Qbert and the MF7 are the only two Ortofons I've used that hold as well as a 447 at the same weight. The Qbert comes in both types and the MF7 only in OM.

Guest Symatic

I like ortofon scratch and qbert needles. I find m44's need a lot of time to bed in, as they are a bit jumpy when fresh out the box.

Thats my experience though...

I had concordes for a long time. The blue ones. Found the lip around the stylus would sometimes rub the record. A friend just got the pink Orto scratch needles but not the concordes--mount on traditional headshells. I like that option better than the concordes. Also seems like the arm to pick the needle up and down breaks a lot on the concordes. Just noticed on other peoples setups. I have the headshell mounted Serato Orto from when I used a turntable for gigs before switching to a CDX and really liked that needle. Probably not better than the 44-7 but it was pretty good.

I think the M447's are a way better value. I would always let them sit in the groove overnight for a few nights if they were new to help aid the break in process. They are a bit bass heavy on vinyl though.

I like the concord style ortofons myself, even though they are way too pricey. I find that the cantilever on Ortofons in general are shorter and more rigid thus more durable than the shure cantilevers though. I've had a lot of m447's cantilevers bend or break easily before if I or someone else accidentally knocks the tonearm off the record of worse... Not a problem if you are very delicate with your gear.

I can get my ortofons to stick just as well as the m447's but they definitely tear up your records quicker. I've never broke off the lift handles of any of my concords but have seen a many broken handles in my day.