Apple Music?

Deft

Anyone got any thoughts on this? I suppose I should just do the free trial and see. Although consciously aware of things like Spotify I have never started using those kind of services. As someone who does generally enjoy music this strikes me as a bit odd now I think about it. Big virtual radio station with nearly unlimited choice. Cost not really a driver for me.

I feel more inclined to use the Apple one as my wife uses an iPhone / iTunes and I still use iTunes though I ditched my iPhone years ago (and I don't love iTunes particularly to be honest). So we could do a family account for £15/month.

There is probably a decent range of stuff on there though I never look that hard.

Haven't tried it out. I use Spotify on my work computer (PC/Windows 7) and it's decent. Just a few commercials here and there with the free account. There's sooo much music available on Spotify. I'm pretty sure Apple Music will be the same. But personally I really like 22 Tracks for streaming.

Well after just 24 hours I can say with certainty I won't be renewing and will definitely give the paid version of Spotify a go instead. Total garbage and buggy interface from within iTunes, also seems impossible to set up the family plan from non-Apple devices too. I'm not particularly anti-Apple but this is a poor show.

It seems ok but it's so buggy it's hard to tell and I'm getting aggravated to even look. It is kind of jumbled up with the Apple Store and sometimes you will see a track, click the little dots which bring a pop-up which may allow it to "add to collection". Quite a lot of the time this doesn't work (i.e. it suggests it is not available, only to buy) - but then if you click through to the album or some other way it then magically becomes available. Garbage.

Also I just grabbed an album of which I already had a couple of the tracks, but on some dj mix albums which I had already ripped and added to iTunes ages ago. Initially it didn't download those specific tracks from the artist album which I thought a bit odd. Now I tried a few different ways and eventually it looked like it had worked (deleting / re-adding / clicking some other buttons to retrieve missing tracks etc.). However - those tracks are now in the order from the original artist album, but have been switched with the versions from my own collection mix albums including album art and everything. Mmmmmm.

I've been hearing some good things about Apple Music. The big thing that is really selling me on it is the option to download anything from their music library onto any of your devices and listen to them offline.

Steve, I know you said something about DRM protection. But will this hinder me from downloading a shitload from Apple Music to use at my next gig? Will music downloaded/lent from Apple Music be usable in Serato or Traktor?

Would this be a cheaper option than a Record Pool? I know in a record pool you pretty much buy the music. But renting an unlimited amount of music from Apple seems like a decent option.

UPDATE: Not an option in Serato... probably wont be.... sheeeit

Edited by Acts_One

It defo wouldn't be usable in Ableton I figure. That's already an issue with iTunes. Which is one of the many reasons I use Amazon over iTunes. I'm guessing you will have to be online to use it.

The big thing that is really selling me on it is the option to download anything from their music library onto any of your devices and listen to them offline.

You can do this on Spotify too, but you can't pull the audio files out of Spotify (although it does integrate with Djay Pro, which seems pretty awesome for what it is)...

I just have my albums list set to 'save for offline listening' on my phone, so any album I save automatically downloads in 320 and I don't have to worry about data when I'm out and about. It doesn't make a dent in my phone memory, 100LPs is what, 20GB?

Flower Travelin' Band 'Satori'

I really liked this. I was lamenting to my brother than my knowledge of pretty much all "rock" music is non-existent (as we read through a list of "top 1000 albums you must own" over Christmas). I only have a single Led Zep album and that was pretty recent. I've ditched Apple Music and signed up to Spotify Premium, so fuck you Apple.