KICKSTARTER: Rob Swift's first album in 6 yrs

djdiggla

I think it's a concept piece about finding his eyebrows.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1814955738/dj-rob-swifts-first-new-hip-hop-album-in-six-years?ref=recommended

Ish is waaaay overpriced. $15 for a digital download? $30 for digital download of CD+DVD? That's retarded. $50 if you want vinyl?? WTF? Oh, right... all sold out so $100 if you want the record.

I seriously don't get how De La and Rob and others think it's OK to direct market presale and then have prices even higher than if they had gone through a label. Bananas.

so the tunes are from his archives and are finished (so technically not new material that requires costs for studio time etc?), and he's not pressing anything to vinyl or CD... there's no reason for this to be a kickstarter...?

Sorry to be negative but it's a bit of a misuse of the format so he can make money on his existing merch (if you look at the reward section), it gives it a bad rep for people who are using it because they need to fund manufacturing or other creative costs like recording etc imo.

Obviously I wish him the best with it, but this is something that should be on bandcamp not kick starter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1814955738/dj-rob-swifts-first-new-hip-hop-album-in-six-years?ref=recommended

Ish is waaaay overpriced. $15 for a digital download? $30 for digital download of CD+DVD? That's retarded. $50 if you want vinyl?? WTF? Oh, right... all sold out so $100 if you want the record.

I seriously don't get how De La and Rob and others think it's OK to direct market presale and then have prices even higher than if they had gone through a label. Bananas.

The vinyl he's selling isn't even the new record, it's old copies of old releases (that ill insanity record came out in 2008). The 'new' record he's made is only coming out digitally by the looks of things. It looks like he's get rid of old stock at a big price...

The kickstarter thing didn't make sense to me, mostly because I couldn't find the vinyl release, so I asked him if it was coming out on vinyl.

He said it definitely would be if he reaches his KS goal, that's one of the reasons he's doing it.

TBH I think he's partly misunderstood how to use kickstarter, trying to raise funds from what he already has rather than selling a promise of the stuff he hasn't made yet.

Wether he should be using KS is a grey area... I'm inclined to think he probably not that rich at all and maybe this is the only way he can justify it? I don't know, it doesn't irk me like De La and Thud Rumble did though.

The vinyl he's selling isn't even the new record, it's old copies of old releases (that ill insanity record came out in 2008). The 'new' record he's made is only coming out digitally by the looks of things. It looks like he's get rid of old stock at a big price...

Totally! It's real confusing too. I couldn't figure out if it was new or old but clearly it's price gouging his deadstock under the guise of a new project. Forget that. I don't understand this project at all.

TBH I think he's partly misunderstood how to use kickstarter, trying to raise funds from what he already has rather than selling a promise of the stuff he hasn't made yet.

I think you're right.

Wether he should be using KS is a grey area... I'm inclined to think he probably not that rich at all and maybe this is the only way he can justify it? I don't know, it doesn't irk me like De La and Thud Rumble did though.

I think this irks me more because at least the TR and DeLa stuff was well thoughtout but just not a deal to the supporter. It was new. The De La USB sticks were dope. The Qbert album and packaging was amazing. The scratchy seal stuff maybe less so tho but at least it wasn't literal deadstock with no clear information in the video.

Uhhhh.....I think I'd sooner support independent releases from the guys from this board than plunk down $50 for average scratch music that's years old.

Awful video too....why would I want 'lost' or stuff that was worth 'deleting'....try again Rob.

• Like 3

I think you're right.

I think this irks me more because at least the TR and DeLa stuff was well thoughtout but just not a deal to the supporter. It was new. The De La USB sticks were dope. The Qbert album and packaging was amazing. The scratchy seal stuff maybe less so tho but at least it wasn't literal deadstock with no clear information in the video.

It irks Dirk.

• Like 1

I didn't realise it was old leftovers :(

Agreed that this isn't really what Kickstarter is for. Though it does strike me that in this age where a lot of music/artists I like are well off the radar of record labels, that there is a need for more crowd funded release options. Obviously not the one set up to Kickstart fledgling businesses, but if it's the only way a said artist can release an album it's probably preferable to no new album. Of course it's down to the individual fans wether they deem any said artist worthy of their support in lieu of anything actually happening. I'd kinda hope that that as much is it would allow certain albums to be made it would also stop certain albums being made. Even if there was some new kind of crowd funding for albums system to replace the way Kickstarter is currently being misused, it would definitely have revolve around pre selling the goods rather than having a clearout of your secondhand wares.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

I'd kinda hope that that as much is it would allow certain albums to be made it would also stop certain albums being made. Even if there was some new kind of crowd funding for albums system to replace the way Kickstarter is currently being misused, it would definitely have revolve around pre selling the goods rather than having a clearout of your secondhand wares.

Exactly this. I would hope that this would enable artists to realise that there either was a call for what they were doing or underline the fact that there actually wasn't. In this case it doesn't really show whether that is the case or not as what people are actually getting when they back the project are releases they could get far cheaper from Discogs if they really wanted them.

• Like 1

$500 and he will show you some record stores???? *travel and accomodation not included*

Seriously who will throw his money away to do that?

Also i sold all his old vinyl albums as i never played them and now he's asking $40 or something for not so great classics.

$1000 and he will scratch on my own production? yep sure, id rather have someone like Rakim or Large PRO spitting some verses instead.

• Like 1

Though it does strike me that in this age where a lot of music/artists I like are well off the radar of record labels, that there is a need for more crowd funded release options.

Seriously tho, what does it really cost? Most musicians have home studios and if you release only digital it basically costs nothing.