Xbox One gets backwards compatibility!

Steve

I'm surprised that MS added this, especially as it's native and not done via streaming games from the cloud.

It supports both XBLA games and disc-based games. Supported XBLA games that you've already purchased will show up in the "Ready to Install" list in your library on the Xbox One automatically. With disc-based games, if you have a supported game, you pop the disc in your Xbox One, it'll download a digital version of the game, then the disc is just used to prove that you own the game. There are no charges for this either, so you're not having to re-buy games you've already bought.

The games support online play, including cross-platform play between Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

There's about a dozen games available to test for preview program members right now, but by the time the system is rolled out to everyone they should have over 100 ready to go and they're aiming to add tons more over time. Devs don't have to do any coding to make games compatible, so it's just a case of dealing with licensing issues with publishers before a game hits the service.

Guest rasteri

That's a massive advantage over the PS4... Although most of the titles so far are simple indie games that are probably trivial to port.

I wonder how they're doing it. Seems unlikely that they're doing full emulation (the PowerPC cores in the 360 don't emulate well) so they will still likely need the cooperation of studios to port more complex titles.

Also I wonder how this affects people who bought GTA5 for the 360 - will they be offered the shittier version of GTA5 to play on their XBone?

I'm surprised that MS added this, especially as it's native and not done via streaming games from the cloud.

It supports both XBLA games and disc-based games. Supported XBLA games that you've already purchased will show up in the "Ready to Install" list in your library on the Xbox One automatically. With disc-based games, if you have a supported game, you pop the disc in your Xbox One, it'll download a digital version of the game, then the disc is just used to prove that you own the game. There are no charges for this either, so you're not having to re-buy games you've already bought.

The games support online play, including cross-platform play between Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

There's about a dozen games available to test for preview program members right now, but by the time the system is rolled out to everyone they should have over 100 ready to go and they're aiming to add tons more over time. Devs don't have to do any coding to make games compatible, so it's just a case of dealing with licensing issues with publishers before a game hits the service.

Holy shit. This is major for me. I might have an excuse to get a Xbone now!

I had 11 360 games automatically added to my library this morning. I only tested a couple of them, but they work fine. You can press the menu and back button on the controller at the same time and bring up the mini-blades interface from the 360, where you can see achievements etc.

If you used the cloud save option on the 360 to store your saves on Xbox Live, it will download them automatically, so you can continue from where you left off.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...