How Filipino-American DJs Came to Dominate West Coast Turntablism

djnumnuts

:8

That's how we do! lol... Filipino-Canadian here and some of the best DMC champs from Canada are Filipino, Dopey, D-Scratch, Lil Jaz... But yeah the West Coast birthed some Legends.

And no, were all not related.

• Like 2

:8

That's how we do! lol... Filipino-Canadian here and some of the best DMC champs from Canada are Filipino, Dopey, D-Scratch, Lil Jaz... But yeah the West Coast birthed some Legends.

And no, were all not related.

Then stupid Pekked came along and ruined everything.

Guest petesasqwax

dope! big ups to O-Dub, original Bay Area historian, for giving some scratch DJ love. I always assume everyone other than us more or less views us as being pointless nerds

Times have changed. The DJ scene in the bay area now is not what it was back in the 80s and 90s. I miss the garage parties. Usually when someone turns 16 or 17, they throw a garage party to showcase DJs.

A DJ Debut?

Edited by Acts_One

Times have changed. The DJ scene in the bay area now is not what it was back in the 80s and 90s. I miss the garage parties. Usually when someone turns 16 or 17, they throw a garage party to showcase DJs.

A DJ Debut?

Not really. Birthday parties were usually the excuse for the cool high school student to throw parties and have a DJ. DJs came in groups. Like an entourage. Probably 3 members were good and would take turns with predetermined line up. Back then, it seemed like showing skills was more important than song selection. At least that's how I viewed it.

When my son was in high school a few years ago, he attended house parties. I asked if there were DJs. He said no. Totally different from what I experienced.

A DJ Debut?

Not really. Birthday parties were usually the excuse for the cool high school student to throw parties and have a DJ. DJs came in groups. Like an entourage. Probably 3 members were good and would take turns with predetermined line up. Back then, it seemed like showing skills was more important than song selection. At least that's how I viewed it.

When my son was in high school a few years ago, he attended house parties. I asked if there were DJs. He said no. Totally different from what I experienced.

That's sick.

Yeah I'm sure now a days it's fueled by trap music, drugs and pekpek.

• Like 1

A DJ Debut?

That's sick.

Yeah I'm sure now a days it's fueled by trap music, drugs and pekpek.

Fortunately, most of the youngsters I'm exposed to are into hip hop and r&b. Weed is legal here in California and there's always gonna be pekpek.