Dubset thinks it's solved the licensing problem behind DJ mixes

Steve

With new support from EDM's A-listers, Dubset's MixSCAN system can distribute royalties to artists whose songs are used in DJ mixes.

In the ongoing battle between record labels and streaming services, nothing has proven quite as befuddling as DJ mixes, which are largely seen as a licensing nightmare. But Dubset, a New York City startup partly funded by Rhapsody, has found a way to monetize them.

For the past two years, the company has been testing its MixSCAN technology on its host site, TheFuture.fm, with about 100,000 users. MixSCAN can identify individual tracks within mixes and distribute royalties to underlying rights holders in a matter of seconds. It can also measure how much of the track was consumed, which helps solve the problem of determining the value of fragments of songs.

The system could be a game-changer: Dubset estimates that 120 billion tracks are sampled each year in mix and re-mix content, which, if monetized, could earn the recording industry an additional $1 billion annually.

Currently, the company is in late-stage licensing discussions with all three major labels, which will likely take a few more months to sew up. But today, Dubset CEO Bob Barbiere announced that they have the endorsement of some of EDM's biggest players, including Tiesto, Afrojack and David Guetta, who have begun uploading their entire libraries to the company's registry.

Full article, HERE.

I signed up to that TheFuture website to see what it's like. I like the layout and the embeddable players look great. It will try and scan your mix automatically to figure out the tracks, but you can enter a track listing in manually and put time stamps for each track. From a design POV, I like it.

What will put people off is the small size of the userbase. I uploaded a mix to see if I'd get any plays and in nearly 24 hours I've had 0.

One thing I don't understand is why you can't put a donate button under each mix/promo track on soundcloud and kinda like band camp you donate as much as you feel is right. One part goes to the artist who posted the track, one part as royalties and one part to sound cloud for running the site. I know that there are for example tons of "bedroom style" djs, that I'd love to give a few cents to for making ace mixes etc.

That would be awesome if they figured it out. I personally think mixes should be classified as "public performance" like terrestrial radio in the US and just let ASCAP sort it out... but at least MixSCAN would get some sort of traction where's there's none now.