Dark Souls / Demon Souls / Bloodborne

Deft

Not played any of these, but interested in Bloodborne as it is a decent looking PS4 exclusive and there aren't many great games kicking about which aren't just upscaled old games.

Dying thousands of times with 40 seconds of loading each time doesn't sound like much fun though. Anyone got it?

Dark Souls is genuinely one of the best games I've ever played. It's to my eternal shame I've never actually finished it. Dark Souls 2 isn't as good, but it's still very good, and I've not played Demon's Souls; I've got a 360. When I get a PS4, Bloodborne and The Last Of Us will be my first two games for sure (although by the time I can afford one Street Fighter 5 will probably be out).

The beauty of DS is that it's a game in the truest sense of the word - there are strict rules, and if you follow them you will win. Even 'cheesing' through certain points feels valid, because the game is so tightly constructed that it feels like taking advantage of the system rather than breaking it. The whole game is this fantastic juxtaposition of the most meta aspect of gaming - looking at rules in black and white and succeeding by following and pushing them - and the amazing atmosphere and lore that the game provides for you to absorb yourself in as much as you want. Exploration and iteratively refining your understanding of what the game's rules actually are and how you win it is central to the whole thing; you win by starting at the beginning and completing it - 'unlocking' your full understanding of the game and making choices about how to get to that completion screen is as integral to the experience as going enemy-to-enemy.

Dying sucks, but in DS (definitely DS1) 99% of the time you'll know deep down that it was your fault - the other 1% you're probably wrong. Not dying in a place where you previously died feels fantastic though, and that happens a lot as you get 'broken' by how the game works and learn to play it properly. As you inevitably level up wrong, hit a brick wall, and start again, you'll notice that you breeze through the earlier sections of the game and are stronger when you get to the point you were stuck. My first abortive play through had me stuck 13 hours in, and I got back to that point in two hours the second time - about 40 minutes the third.

I really should finish it. It's like going to the gym - the thought of it can be exhausting. Also, the girlfriend doesn't savour the idea of sitting in front of it for an hour every evening.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can confirm: Bloodborne is the shit. It's fucking great. It's also a ton more forgiving than Dark Souls, I've been having a much easier time with it. So fun, so interesting. There's a lot less equipment customisation than DS though - weapons and clothing choices are far fewer and there's basically no magic.

The atmosphere is superb. I seem to be just coming to a point where the world goes from 'a bit dark and foreboding' to 'fucking weird' too, which is coming just at the right time.

It's on my "buy when drops to £25" list. Borderlands the Handsome Collection feels like it goes on forever. I've clocked up some decent hours and I'm not sure if I am anywhere near the end.

Yeah, I'm playing Bloodborne for over a month now and I have to say it's an awesome game and really worth buying. I'm more into FPS's but this one is totally bad ass. And if you know how things work n shit you won't die that much haha. :d