Have you ever bartered with your ISP/service provider?

Steve

9 members have voted

1. 1. Well, have you?

• Yes!
    • No!

I haggled with Dell to get a warranty extension when my HDD died 11 months in. I basically said that I had lost faith in their hardware, and they needed to give me a full 12 months on the replacement too.

It worked!

Yes, I recently told an EE employer that they were completely shit in every way (thanks to a long list of niggles and cock ups that are too boring to go into here), I've hated every experience with them and I never even knew I was signing up with them in the first place.

He said sorry and upped my monthly allowance from 2GB to 5GB for free.

(this was for a mobile, although I have bartered on ISP too before)

I always do it. Almost every time I have had discounts applied or free upgrades to faster speeds. Even when the service has been perfectly fine, I always compare them to other providers offerings and they will almost certainly give you a great deal. I once asked for my PAC code to switch mobile provider the next day I had a call with a good deal I couldn't say no to so I stayed with the provider.

I don't really haggle on utilities - it's all a bit lower class and beneath me. I had a funny conversation with an O2 drone as I was trying to get my PAC code for GiffGaff, where he offered me a totally different random deal. Broadband there is no choice for me here, don't do TV anymore so nothing to haggle. Gas and electric I've moved to Ecotricity to escape the usual cunt heads. Home insurance I do John Lewis because I like supporting their business model and they are probably less shit for customer service than other places. Car insurance I just re-quote each year and go the cheapest even though they are always a shit company. I generally take the tack now of leaving a company who are blatently shit, irrespective of any retentions deal.