Renegades of Rhythm

djdiggla

I have tickets to this tonight. Pretty excited. I've never seen Shadow before. Was always broke or working. Had kinda become a personal joke with my wife that I was secretly boycotting him. A friend surprised me with tix! Can't wait!

Music fans are in for a once-in-a-lifetime experience when turntablists supreme DJ SHADOW and CUT CHEMIST celebrate the legacy of hip-hop vanguard and Universal Zulu Nation founder AFRIKA BAMBAATAA on their RENEGADES OF RHYTHM tour this fall.

“This has never been done before, definitely not on this scale. They’re HIS records, with his blessings. This isn’t just ANY copy of “X” breakbeat, it’s THE copy, THE copy that started everything. Not just any records, the MASTER OF RECORDS’ records.” – DJ SHADOW
Using only vinyl pulled from Bambaataa’s historic collection – over 40,000 strong and permanently archived at Cornell University – DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist aim to present Bambaataa’s legacy in all it’s genre-busting and socially-minded complexity. DJ Shadow states, “His collection includes not just Soul and Rap, but also Soca, Calypso, Dub, Salsa…it’s obvious that this music was important to him, and it’s reflected in his own music. For exampled, when the Soulsonic Force is singing an African chant, it actually comes from a Many Dibango record. That’s when being a crate-digger comes in handy – you have to be able to pick up on the references and reiterate them.”
Sorting through the collection with this holistic aim in mind was daunting. “The first sort was to make sure we didn’t leave anything important behind. We definitely over-pulled,” adds Cut Chemist. To help them narrow their selection, DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist focused on the appearance of the records themselves, “It was pretty clear what he played a lot and what he didn’t. The sure-shots were covered with tape and the jackets were beautifully tattered; that made it easier after a while to pull records.”
“The program will be multifaceted,” DJ Shadow explains. “Bambaataa as an artists, exploring the influence of his classics like ‘Planet Rock;’ Bambaataa as a collector, and the genre-defining breaks he discovered; and Bambaataa as peacemaker and force for social change. He influenced an entire generation worldwide, so we feel a great obligation to get it right.”
Naturally, it was paramount to the two DJ’s that the tour have the full blessing and support of Afrika Bambaataa himself. “I call on all who love Hip-Hop to come out, see them, hear them,” says the Godfather. “My story is our history in DJing.”
The ROR tour will use six turntables and a variety of real-time effects. “It adds another performance level, real-time sampling from the record that’s being played,” says Cut Chemist. Visuals for the tour will be supplied by acclaimed video director, multimedia producer and regular DJ Shadow collaborator Ben Stokes. The tour will be produced by Jamal Chalabi and Backlash Management.
The tour may be rooted in a historic vinyl collection, but both DJs are quick to point out that people should not come to this expecting strictly an ‘old-school’ set. As DJ Shadow sums it up, “DJ Shadow + Cut Chemist + Bambaataa’s records + his blessings; it’s going to be epic. That’s all you really need to know,” Or, as Afrika Bambaataa puts it, “DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist are going to blow your funky mind.”

• Like 2

It was amazing. I got pretty drunk and danced a lot. Phenomenal set. The crowd was so Austin tho... a little too cool which was a shame but not nearly as bad as usual... lots of old heads coming out of the woodwork. What amazed me is none of the breakers in town came. Nobody. That was so fucking bizarre. It was kickass tho. I have no doubt they will be coming out with a DVD. The visuals were awesome too. What was nice was how smooth everything was. Unreal they were on 6 decks. I wish I knew what all gear they were using and/or they had a second monitor showing a birds-eye view. But they really killed it all around--scratching, juggling, syncopated routines, great digging of course, so smooth and perfectly mixed/timed, flow was great, they had some super obscure samplers they were busting out, live looping... just really amazing all around.

EDIT: Yeah I hope yall get the chance to see it. I would say they for sure will be going world wide but I wonder if Cornell Uni will let them travel abroad with all those records or if transporting that much gear for two people would be financially worth it.

• Like 3

Nick Nack did the after party set on the venue terrace... super kick ass. What a night. I ended up at Whataburger at 1am eating BOBs and lemon pies.

• Like 2

Really neither could I. Its pretty amazing how well they work together. Shadow even did some sick v-drumming while CC dropped some sampled from Entroducing. Sickness.

• Like 1

Dang, doesn't look like they're coming through Colorado, one of the coolest states in the US. WTF? And there's such a heavy DJ scene in Denver. WTF?

26th Denver

27th Aspen

Dang, doesn't look like they're coming through Colorado, one of the coolest states in the US. WTF? And there's such a heavy DJ scene in Denver. WTF?

26th Denver

27th Aspen

Dope. Didn't see this on Livenation, I shoulda went to Shadow's site for the real deal.

That was fuckin doooooope!

Edan and paten lock were awesome as support, doin the one handed beat juggle rapping thing and even some folk guitar kazoo shiz. Gangsta as fuck.

Then the main set was awesome, and knowing these were the actual factual records used was pretty fuckin sweet. Really really dope.

Abd cut and shadows scratches are so distinctive. They really have unique accents on the cut. Shadow is the king of stabs fo sho!

I didnt have time to go and try and hawk records at them which i kinda regret but fuck it, their show was redonkulous and im glad to have seen it.

• Like 3

Guest petesasqwax

Nice!

I once saw Shadow do his 'In Tune and On Time' tour at the Octagon in Sheffield. I lost my mind at several points.

are you based anywhere near Sheffield now, d00d? did I already ask this before? apologies if the answer to the second question is "yes"

Caught the first show of the tour here in Toronto...super enjoyable and really tight set...they gave it a lot of thought and really flipped a lot of stuff I didn't expect to see/hear. They even used some vintage drum machines for parts of the set....that along with the visuals throughout really made for a dope show!

• 3 months later...