Another big new update coming to the Xbox One - includes some decent media features!

Steve

Media features are where the latest consoles suck right now, but that's about to change, on the Xbox One anyway. They're adding a media player that can play the following file formats: -

3gp audio

3gp video

3gp2

aac

adts

animated gif

asf

avi divx

avi dv

avi uncompressed

avi xvid

bmp

jpg

gif

h264 avchd

mjpeg

mkv

mov

mp3

mpeg 1 ps

mpeg 2

mpeg 2 hd

mpeg 2 ts

mpeg 4 h264 aac

mpeg 4 sp

png

tiff

wav

wma

wma lossless

wma pro

wma voice

wmv

wmv hd

That's a pretty comprehensive list of codecs and containers. No FLAC, but I guess you can't have everything!

Initially, the media player will only support locally connected storage (USB sticks and hard drives), but it will then be expanded to include streaming support so you can stream any of the above file types over your home network.

The second thing they're doing is letting you stream live TV to your phone or tablet via SmartGlass. You can watch, pause, rewind etc. the programme you're watching, as well as viewing the TV guide and changing channels. Pretty cool.

They also announced some other features that include: -

Threaded conversations - Instead of sending one PM back and forth, you'll be able to see the entire conversation, like you can when you send PMs on DV.

New Friends tab - This will add a Friends tab to the main dashboard along with Pins, Home and Store, so you'll be able to see more information about what your friends are up to, challenge them on leaderboards and stuff.

Boot to TV option - If you want the Xbox One to boot up straight into TV mode, you'll be able to do that.

Snap Center - I'm not really sure what this is, but it sounds like it will have some of the features of the Xbox 360's mini guide, making it easier to access your friends list, messages, party etc.

Mini TV guide - This adds a mini TV guide that displays info about the programme you're currently watching, allows you to change channels etc., but without having to go to the main OneGuide and come out of whatever it is you're watching.

All of this stuff will be added in system updates over the next few months.

I tested out the media player app: -

http://i.imgur.com/GE6LfTP.jpg

It's basic at the moment and only supports a few codecs. It works as intended though and was able to read all of the tag info (included embedded artwork) from the MP3 files I tested it with.