Pioneer release vinyl turntable

I like the bit at the end where the cool dj gets a record out and does a half arsed kay'd up wave dance........ yay house music/seamlessly shoe horned in.

Anyways, it's pretty awesome to see a big hitter like Pio release a turntable, it's gotta make some difference towards the longevity of turntable dj'n.

I'm glad they kept it simple and traditional, quite looking forward to giving it go at BPM to see where it stands against the other super oem decks.

As pleased as I was to see Reloop release decks last year I didn't really warm to them.

• Like 1

Picking over them I'd preferred a +-10% pitch fader over the 8, plus an extra tempo range to sit in-between 16 and 50. Obviously I'm only guessing but once set at +-50 the pitch fader would have a coarse range making it difficult to accurately adjust ultra pitch records, booo

Guest Symatic

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY..........(see's £700 price tag)..........awwwwwwwwwwww

fuckin cool lookin tho. i like how they had to edit out the word technics from everyone's interview :)

nice one pioneer

It is good and probably the best all round turntable available new now, but it's just a slightly more pimped version of the Stanton ST-150. I know it's got a Pioneer badge, round stop button and a token bit extra sound deadening, but surely it's not the new shape for a wheel it's being hyped up to be?

It's just an expensive Super OEM. My decks have 2 start/stop buttons, adjustable start/brake speeds, reverse play, a much more easily replaceable target light, phono and line outputs, 78 RPM playback and key lock, yet they have the same motor and tonearm (the important bits really) as this and cost much less. Pointless.

Clearly you don't place much stock in a Pioneer logo and round start/stop button.

Haha, it'll sell because of the brand name. I'm already seeing comments like "this is the Technics 1200, but better!" from people who were dissing Super OEMs in the past. They seem to equate "Pioneer" with "industry standard" as if that automatically makes all of their products superior to the alternatives and therefore worth paying a lot more money for.

I'm sure the decks are great, but I highly doubt that they're so great that it's worth spending £200+ more per turntable compared to another make/model that's using the exact same motor and tonearm.

Exactly. I'm totally prepared to admit it's probably the best incarnation of the Super OEM on some fronts (not features or value of course).

What I think a lot of people forget when proclaiming "the new Technics" was that Tech's biggest strength was their refusal to die - there must be loads of 20-25 year old ones out there still getting regular hard use.

Super OEMs might prove me wrong and last just as long, but I'm yet to be convinced.

They're priced about right for the stuff they're destined to sit next to though - the people who will go for a DJM900 or a 62 will still have a more expensive mixer than their turntables combined.

I guess comparatively this isn't tooooo bad a price considering the hike that mixers saw when sales started to drop.

If it gets more people into DJing with turntables, then that's a good thing. I just don't see much sense in buying them over a different brand. Maybe a review will convince me otherwise, but I don't see what justifies £224 more per turntable over a Reloop RP-7000 or £100 more per turntable over a STR8-150 (which also comes with a cart/stylus).

Exactly. I'm totally prepared to admit it's probably the best incarnation of the Super OEM on some fronts (not features or value of course).

What I think a lot of people forget when proclaiming "the new Technics" was that Tech's biggest strength was their refusal to die - there must be loads of 20-25 year old ones out there still getting regular hard use.

Super OEMs might prove me wrong and last just as long, but I'm yet to be convinced.

In 30 years time, if super OEMs are still going strong, will people still say they're not as good as Technics because they've been going for 60?

surely the whole point of superoems is that they *are* technics? the reason technics have a 25 year head start is because of the patent on the brushless motor system they created, which when expired allowed copies to emerge - and one factory had a production line that provided economy of scale surpassing the value of creating one's own... right? is this something i've made up?

turntables are commodities! finally...

really the best thing about the technics is the spares are available. are super oem spares available yet?

does anybody know when the patents expired? before the numark ttx came out?

time somebody in the know wrote a decent article about the history of the super oem turntable. theres lots of stuff that's be worth knowing about these turntables. there are probably only a few people who have run dj equipment review website for long enough.

Guest rasteri

I know one nightclub owner who was reluctant to get turntables (since he didn't want to buy secondhand and thought all non-technics turntables are gash) that has agreed to install PLX-1000s when they come out. The Pioneer name and Technics resemblence is going to mean a fuck of a lot. I think they stand a good chance of becoming the new club standard.

I'd like them more if they didn't have the the blue LEDs on them from a decade ago...

Yes. Strobing rainbow would be my choice.