eBay has been hacked

Steve

Hackers quietly broke into eBay two months ago and stole a database full of user information, the online auction site revealed Wednesday.

Criminals now have possession of eBay customer names, account passwords, email addresses, physical addresses, phone numbers and birth dates.

The company said the passwords were encrypted, but there's no telling when or if the hackers can decrypt them. As a precaution, eBay is resetting everyone's passwords.

The company isn't saying how many of its 148 million active accounts were affected -- or even how many customers had information stored in that database. But an eBay spokeswoman said the hack impacted "a large number of accounts."

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/21/technology/security/ebay-passwords/index.html

I have no faith in big corporations when it comes to security. Sony have fucked up numerous times. A vulnerability was recently found in Microsoft's password system for MS accounts where if you just tapped the space bar a bunch of times instead of entering the password, it would take you to the change password page, where you could change the password without entering the old one - some young kid discovered that by accident when trying to get into his dad's Xbox account. There are tons of examples. Always assume the worst!

Or if your password is reasonably strong and eBay have any sense, millions of years.

i'm not talking about the best case scenario here,

i'm sure that if they had properly salted the password hashes they'd be shouting about it already.

i'm pretty sure that ebay have *some* sense, but even though my password was an 8 digit random string, i'm not taking any chances.

With this and many other things like eBay's

shitty customer service and their buggy constantly infuriating website, it's very clear that they have no serious direct rivals. Even on an off day, all they really need to do is sit back and watch the money roll in.

also its entirely possible that the cia/nsa did it, and can use the weaknesses they built into the hashing and encryption functions to retrive the passwords, so they can sell them on the black market to fund their clandestine wars. that would really be the icing on snowdons cake.