MS announce Kinect-less Xbox One, Games With Gold for Xbox One and more

Steve

I thought they would save this stuff for E3 in June, but they've just announced it today.....

They are going to sell a Kinect-less Xbox One, which in the US will be priced at $399.99, $100 less than the SKU that comes with Kinect. No pricing has been announced for other countries yet.

Games With Gold will be coming to the Xbox One in June, so if you're a Gold subscriber you will get 2 free games per month, starting with Max: The Curse of Brotherhood and Halo Spartan Assault. Unlike the Xbox 360 version of Games With Gold, on the One it's subscription based like Playstation Plus, so you don't get to keep the games if you let your Gold subscription lapse (you do on the 360).

They've also removed the entertainment apps from behind the Gold paywall on both the 360 and One, so no longer have to be a Gold subscriber to use any of those.

That's pretty cool. If my minecraft 360 world can transfer to xbone then I'm in. Pathetic but that's my serious only concern. Aside from that I'd like a WiiU.

Actually, your Minecraft save/world will transfer over to the Xbox One version. They originally said that it wouldn't back in November, but MS worked with the developer so that it would work and they announced it last month: -

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/minecraft-xbox-360-saves-will-carry-over-to-minecraft-xbox-one-edition/1100-6419204/

BTW, if you've got a 360 with a Gold sub, the free games in June are Dark Souls, Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition and Charlie Murder, which is a pretty nice selection. On the 360 you get to keep the games even if you stop paying for Gold at a later date too.

Actually, your Minecraft save/world will transfer over to the Xbox One version. They originally said that it wouldn't back in November, but MS worked with the developer so that it would work and they announced it last month: -

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/minecraft-xbox-360-saves-will-carry-over-to-minecraft-xbox-one-edition/1100-6419204/

SICK!

And total score on the keep the games. Some PS4 fanboys were trying to tell me how awesome the controller is (if you don't mind the top buttons instantly breaking) and the premium service (if you don't mind that the games are essentially rented and nontransferable). Sounded like bullshit to me.

I think PS+ is good value to be honest, given that you get a couple of games every month for each Sony system you own - Vita, PS3 and PS4 - without having to pay more than once. Yes, you don't get to keep them when you stop subscribing, but you're only paying $3 a month or whatever. You also get discounts on games and DLC, so if you're buying stuff fairly regularly, the $3 is inconsequential.

My only criticism of it - and Games With Gold on the Xbox One - is that you don't get any choice in the games that you're given, and it seems to make people think "I'm not sure if I should buy this game, as it'll probably come to PS+ in a few months", which I'm not sure is a good thing really.

I'm not a fan of the PS4 controller. I think it's a controller favoured by people who have only ever owned Playstations.