Recording of Mix tapes and Cuts with limited gear!

yo yo.

Ok so ive finally got around to getting myself a serato sl2 box recently (Cheers Chris!!!)....and im gonna grab myself a new laptop soon so i can start recording mixes and doing some light production work as well...

Its annoying, cos i have very very limited access to anything here, apart from the bare bones basics of what i need until i can either afford to buy myself a whole load of new gear....or ship out my studio set up from the UK here to new zealand...

So....I will have the following:

Laptop (no external soundcard)

Serato SL2

2 PDX

Rane 56i

DJ Tech U2 Station - inbuilt mixer (might be useful, might not...but its fairly solid sound quality)

A guitar practice amp for monitoring (lol - at least i can hear it)

Im wanting to Record Cuts into Cubase, and use Serato to Record DJ Mixes back into the PC in either Acid or more than likely, into Cubase as well...

From 98 - 03 ish...I used to record all my shit 'ghetto style' - i just had the same set up pretty much, but with an Ecler HAK 360....it was dead easy to use to record cuttin - send / returns for recording cuts acapella on the right.....PC playing audio project into left channel of mixer....(but it obviously didnt have Serato in the mix there either...)

Im guessing I can do the same with the Rane 56 in this instance, right? Ive never used the send returns on the Rane....i remember playing with one years ago when i had my HAK and seem to remember they didnt work in quite the same way?

Since I wanna record Serato also, both as use as scratches and also recording mixes into a DAW - how best can i utilise what i do have for easiest all round use?

How would you guys go about it?

It should be easy when i actually have all the bits in front of me to work out....but if anyone else is running a similar sort of setup for similar purposes...how have you set up to record yourself?

• Like 1

I think you've got what you need to record things the way you used to - even if the FX loops differ from the 360 to the 56, I think you can still use them this way. The only thing (possibly) needed is a way to record your cuts back into the computer. If your laptop has an audio input, you could connect that to your mixer send outputs. If not, you'd need another seperate audio interface unless the DJ-Tech U2 has a line input and could be used as the sound card for cubase (sorry, I don't know enough about the U2 to know wether it has inputs or is just a controller).

• Like 1

The FX loop on the Rane should be fine for sending a discreet channel as it is a post fader loop. Just leave the mini FX fader on "dry" and flick the FlexFX on for the channel you want to send. But yeah as Rock Well says, if you are using Serato for audio playback you might run out of inputs, unless you were using just one turntable and could route one of the SL2 inputs to a multi track whilst still using one channel in Serato. Some soundcards can handle this as the routing can be done using a decent ASIO control panel.

• Like 1