keeping the ttx1s alive....

one of my ttx1s started playing up today,

basicly it started playing realy fast then realy slow randomly.

does anybody know if this is the motor chip, or the platter sensor, or something else?

i already replaced the motor chip on this deck, but the symptoms were different. it took a really long time to start. it was about a year ago that i replaced its chip. i have a spare chip, so if its that i'm happy, also the platter sensor is an easy fix.

i paid hardly anything for these decks so i'm not sore. i'd read about all the problems online before so i knew what i was getting into.

i actualy do like fixing things, so its no big deal.

i was just wondering if anybody else had seen this exact behaviour before.

Guest rasteri

Could be a dodgy pitch fader. If you wiggle the fader stem does it seem to affect the speed?

Failing that it might be the platter speed sensor, no idea how you'd fix that though.

it's not the pitch fader for sure, it goes crazy even when its in quartz lock mode.

the platter speed sensor is a possibility.

i have identical ttx1s so i can switch the sensors around to see if thats the problem.

its not a custom part so i can probably find one. googling around i've seen a few references to speed sensor problems but nothing definitive.

otherwise i'll just change the motor chip, i've got a spare.

• 2 weeks later...

rasteri: you're right, it was the platter speed sensor.

i swapped the sensors with my working deck, and it started working perfectly.

now all i need to do is find a replacement encoder:

the original was a sharp gp1a35r

i found a thread on scratchlounge with relevant info:

http://www.skratchlounge.com/index.php?/topic/2976-numark-ttx-1-mod/page__st__140

his deck had an agilent h9700 f 50 sensor

neither of these were in stock anywhere i looked.

but i found an equivelant part, the avagotech h9700 f 50

as soon as i get some money in my paypal, i'll order one and report back.

• 11 months later...

You might want to try PMing him mate. He's not been online on DV for 6 months. PMing him should send him an email to say he's got a new PM (assuming he hasn't turned that off), so you might get a response that way.

Welcome to the site BTW!

in the end i actualy found the original sharp part on ebay. switched it over and all was good.

my ttx's are still working good. i still have a spare motor controller and optical sensor for the next time one breaks, but more than likley it'll be something unrelated that dies the next time.

if you have annother ttx1 you can swap over the sensors to make sure that its really the problem. there is annother possibile problem with the ttx1s that is caused by the platter sensor(there is annother sensor that detects wether the platter is installed or not) it's actualy a simpler fix, you just need to short out the sensor so that it always sees the platter as installed.

most of the ttx problems are caused by excess heat, i drilled a load of extra ventilation holes one of my decks, it probably helps since i havent had any more problems with that deck(when i got it it had a burnt out motor driver chip.)

• 3 weeks later...

My Numark model does have the vents. I did attempt to switch the sensor but the platter does not respond at all now. I was really careful with the desoldering process. I did have issues getting the opposite end out of the socket (plug) and one of the 4 small wires came out but I thought I was able to successfully insert and reclamp. I will have to check that again.

Motosega,

How do I short out the sensor?

make sure you have the sensor aligned properly, i had to try repositioning mine a few times.

test all you connections for continuity with a multimeter, you could quite easily have broken the cable.

the plater present sensor can just be shorted out with a blob of solder between the two pins on the sensor. there was an image floating around that described the fix but i can't find it. don't do it if you aren't sure that's your problem.

Hi, i have a problem with ttx too, maybe this help for someone. A friend repairs the turntable changing some chips (i don't know the tecnicals words, but he speak about 32 chips if i remember good). I buy a Toshiba chip really cheap and he can repair the ttx with some problems in stop, because ttx was starting turning alone slowly sometimes... but you can use it for sure, no problem. Finally ttx died a year after that, i will check what you say, maybe he can repair with your information, thanks.

Here is a picture of the chip:

Edited by 73fso