Really high ping on xbox one

Ryan

What does it say under "Detailed Network Statistics"?

For me, it's: -

Download speed = 61 Mbps

Upload speed = 3 Mbps

Latency = 156 ms

Download packet loss = 0%

Upload packet loss = 1%

But I believe the servers used for that test are located in the USA, hence the latency.

Do you actually see effects of the high ping in games?

Yeah, ping definitely matters, cos when you press A to fire your gun, for example, that action is sent through the Internet to the host/server, then back to you and that round trip time being high is what causes shit like lag, people's characters jumping all over the place, and you clearly shooting someone first, only for them to shoot you.

That said, I don't really know how to lower ping though, nor do I know how COD works on the Xbox One. I don't know if it has dedicated servers or not and if it does, where they're located. Obviously, the further away the servers are (or the host, if the game uses the same P2P networking as the 360 version), the higher your ping will get, all other things being equal.

• Like 1

I've just been playing Titanfall and that gives you ping results for all the data centres around the world. The ping time to the one in Europe (I assume it's in the UK) is 21 ms, which is excellent, so those "detailed network statistic" figures must be based on a server that's somewhere further away.

Ping makes a huge difference generally and always has. When cable was first coming out people with 56k used to call people with cable low ping bastards coz of the advantage they were getting.

In MW2, coz I had a sick internet connection, I used to get to be the host quite a lot and I immediately could tell when I was. All my shots registered and I could pretty much kill any one relatively easily. When I wasn't hosting, it'd do the exact same thing but they wouldn't necessarily die. I guess shots weren't registering or something.

Getting shot round corners and stuff definitely sounds like you're playing a server far away. Again, when I used to play COD in to the early hours, if I stayed up too late you'd end up getting put on American servers which would cause similar stuff.