Copped a 3DS XL today

Steve

I've been dumping some old tech on eBay so I had a little bit of money burning a hole in my pocket. Rather than save the money like a sensible person would, I bought one of these: -

http://i.imgur.com/BuTj9zU.jpg

I wasn't really tempted by the 3DS until I read a couple of reviews of that new Zelda game, which sounds wicked. I haven't got it yet as I bought it off Amazon, but it should arrive next week.

Anyone else got a 3DS? If so, what games would you recommend?

I had the version before the 3D (thanks to my niece it's no longer working) and want to buy a 3DSXL now. Don't know much about the 3DS-games but I really dig the "advance wars" series on the gameboy.

I've got the standard 3DS (the previous Zelda Ocarina of TIme Ltd Edition). The 3D effect I mostly turn off. I haven't got any other games. I did have a DS with loads of games way back. Mario Kart, some Professor Layton games. GTA chinatown, Advance Wars, Chrono Trigger (fucking good if you like that style of game). In fact there were loads and loads of brilliant DS games now I think of it.

Guest petesasqwax

my youngest 3 have a DS each with the R3 cards. I can't say as I've ever played with them aside from when I got the Korg thing which promptly seemed to kill everything else on the card. I'd backed it up (DS saved games are serious business to 6yr olds) but I've been loathe to mess with them ever since. They obviously all want a 3DS now, but they're too obsessed with the various Skylanders games and Disney Infinity for me to feel like another format is in any way worthwhile

My 3DS XL turned up today. I think Nintendo are cheeky gits for not including a charger. I read somewhere that it was an environmental thing, as they said that people who buy a 3DS are quite likely to already own a Nintendo handheld so they'd already have a charger, which would be fine, except the Nintendo DS Lite charger that I have doesn't fit the 3DS XL and the charger for the XL is another proprietary one. If they cared about the environment, they'd just use micro USB. Still, at least a charger is cheap. I'll buy one from Argos tomorrow.

There was enough battery life in it to do a system update, download the Zelda game, then play it for a few minutes. I'm impressed with the quality of the hardware, although Nintendo's hardware is almost always very good. The 3D is a bit weird though, like my eyes are sometimes fighting against it, so it switches between looking amazing to looking like a blurry 2D image, kinda like I'm seeing double. Maybe you just need time to get used to it. I can't comment on the game as I barely started it before I got warnings that the battery was going to run out.