How Videogames Changed the World (C4, 9PM, Saturday)

Steve

lovely stuff. cheers for the heads up.

i watched a thing about gamesmaster a while ago where they were talking about how there was mad arguments between dominik diamond and one of the expert players, and they kind of set him up to lose a challenge. It was interesting... can't remember where it was though.

lovely stuff. cheers for the heads up.

i watched a thing about gamesmaster a while ago where they were talking about how there was mad arguments between dominik diamond and one of the expert players, and they kind of set him up to lose a challenge. It was interesting... can't remember where it was though.

I've seen that clip on youtube. It's something else. Dave Perry gets pretty pissed off when he loses at Mario Karts as his competitor has played it previously.

http://youtu.be/UEFr6ACZ8sI

I've never really got into computer games.

When I was a kid we didn't have a computer and my parents refused to buy me a console claiming they were too expensive.

Then one Christmas out of the blue they got me a Game Boy which I kind of liked but didn't LOVE. I had Tetris, Super Mario Land, Darkwing Duck and The Jungle Book games.

I think what did it for me was that I was quite shit at the actual games except Tetris.

Then when I was about 11 or 12 we got a PC and nobody in the house could really use it except me so I used to put loads of pirated DOS games on like Wolf 3D, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D etc. I was shit at them as well and only used to play with the cheats on.

So my teenage years played out with very little gaming enjoyment, save for when I went round to mate's houses and we all used to do multiplayer stuff during the Playstation/N64 era. I actually hated Goldeneye because I was rubbish at it and I'd just get shot to shit. I liked the stupid kids party games like Mario Party, SuperMonkey Ball or Worms which didn't rely on your being good. We also used to play a hell of a lot of wrestling games because we were into wrestling. I was pretty rubbish at them but it was funny because you could create really bizarre characters so I liked that.

Then I got a GameBoy Micro off some mates for my 21st and I had Zelda 4 Swords. That was quite fun but I had to use a few online guides to complete it. I mainly used it as a way to practice French because I had it set to French and I was living there anyway.

Then I bought a GameCube cheap from Game and got that Donkey Kong game with the bongo controller. That was fun but I lost the disc. Also I'm quite good at Minesweeper.

Now it's now and that's basically every computer game I've ever played.

So basically if someone asks "Hey do you want a game of FIFA" or whatever that army game is called I say "no thanks because I'm shit at it."

• Like 1

I got into gaming really early. My uncle bought me and my sister one of the first "TV games" where you had football, tennis, squash - just variations on Pong really. That was probably in the late 70s.

Then my dad went to work in Australia for several weeks and on his way back, he bought me and my sister a Nintendo Game & Watch each . This was the one I got (which I still have): -

http://i.imgur.com/nRa0mZK.jpg

I had one or two other handheld games, this one for example: -

http://i.imgur.com/6qtPyq1.jpg

I never had an Atari, but one of the kids next door did so I played on that quite a bit. Then everything changed when I got a ZX Spectrum, as quite a few kids I knew had one and we could pirate the games, haha. You could fit a whole bunch of games on one regular tape.

This was an early anti-piracy effort: -

http://i.imgur.com/BiDpcqH.jpg

It came with Jet Set Willy. When the game loaded, it would ask you to enter in colours from the grid, except of course, it was a piece of piss to copy that card too!

• Like 1

So basically if someone asks "Hey do you want a game of FIFA" or whatever that army game is"

get rid of the 'called', it's funnier. /comedyschool

America ruined video games, largely. it's a hypothesis i've not really thought out but Japanese and British gaming houses have forever been inventive, innovative, and just fun. Americans like shooting people and put it into games. Less fun.

• Like 2

Looking forward to this!

Before I got into scratching console based gaming was my main hobby and I spent way too much time playing the tony hawks games but over the last few years I've barely played at all.

I think I remember someone having the neogeo handheld, which looked sick but I don't know anyone who had the consoles. They were hella expensive right?

Guest petesasqwax

Who had else had a rich friend had the latest and greatest games machines ect?

Yes! FUCK OFF WITH YOUR NEO GEO YOU CUNT

A few doors down from my mate Dave were a couple of kids who had a Neo Geo (/their dad had a Neo Geo). All the games were about £100 and most of the ones they had were Japanese language versions of Street Fighter style fighting games. The joysticks were the 2 rows of 3 buttons style ones - the whole unit was the size of a reasonable sized tea tray.