Guitar tuning and capos (capi?)

doppelkorn

I think Sav's stated the most important points, especially if your playing cover versions of popular songs.

Other things to consider are:

Playing in an open position gives some creative possibilities that you don't get when playing with barre chords. The open strings are always there, as the nut of the guitar takes the job that a finger would have to do otherwise. This free's up the finger to do other stuff, and enables chord voicings which would be impossible otherwise (due to physical limitations like stretching).

The capo can serves similar purpose, but means that you not stuck with using EADGBE as the drone notes - which could otherwise make things sound a bit samey.

The open tuning of a guitar play an Em11 chord.

E(root) G(m3rd) B(5th) D(m7th) A(11th)

(but this chord probably sounds better when played with a different voicing)

I'm learning the progressions of this today but my blues skills r wack. I'm just doing the basic open chord version so far :(

Played it to my mate Sally and she remained resolutely standing. Guess I don't got them blues in my soul.

You have to work out the exact timing of the chords but it's pretty obvious. Most online vids and chords have it in Bb but my book has it in Em.

It's just

root / VII / root / VI / VII for the verse and

III / VII / root / VI / VII for the chorus

pmsl!