mc with the best lyrics is....

iexist

I'm always shit at answerin "best ..." threads cos I don' really categorise my mc's especially hierarchically, I either get down to them or I don't.

Dee's comments about Kool Keith ring very true.. I have a bucketload of mates who think most HH emcees spend too much time trying to be serious, and love Kool Keith like no-one else

I really like Apathy, but have gone off his recent stuff. also like Rise and Celph Titled from the Demigodz.

I've always thought highly of Nas, without being over-impressed by his output, still can't front on "illmatic"

and can't forget Guru... too many killer verses too mention.

and tonnes of others...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rugged Man is sum heavy bizznizz. im lovin his new album. Necro can also freestyle like a mutha. frankly they both piss all over Eminem

but MF Doom does have the BEST lyrics right now. he has a dope flow on "Accordion"

Guest Deeswift
Kool Keith! I have a lot of respect for that guy, he's like no one else. 

Reezy -- Yes, I've listened Mike. He's not a bad emcee at all. I was listening to the guy when he first came out, But to be straight to the point -- I avoid music which has an image that goes along with it. If there's one thing I've learned in over the last 30 or so years of being a music listener and creator, it's that I should have avoided genres of music which have a matching fashion. It only embarrasses you in the end. It took me until I was about 26 to realize this.

w/e its just marketing, but BIS is in no way even main stream, he doesnt get much coverage at all

I understand what you're saying, Mike, but it doesn't make me wanna buy his music. To me he's still very much like many other rappers. Whatever, you're speaking to someoene who hates 99% of rap music anyway! I shouldn't even be in this thread. 10 years ago I could have talked for hours about this and made a list of emcees who I thought were dope, but times changed and rap does nothing for me now. I think rap / hip hop has been fucked over, big time, and now it's beyond repair and will never be cool again. It's like punk -- been there, done that, the golden years have passed, now it's stale, now it's fashionable, now it's in the charts. This is what I'm saying about music that has a matching fashion, a way to dress if you're into that kind of music. To me, after growing up a bit, it seems silly and it's a teenage thing. And I never thought I'd say that, I used to be like "Hip hop for life!". What a fucking idiot I was!

i'd have to say doom recently, for some truly hilarious rhymes and writing in Viktor Vaughn (volume 1 not 2) and Monster Island Czars...

and then these i rate highly...

Mr Lif

Percee P

Phi Li Cypher

Early Taskforce and early Jhest (Jhest is fukin ridiculous on Voice of the great outdoors... writing and rhyming are above a lot of stuff i've heard)

Braintax

Some Wu members, Method Man on classic tracks

err... some french dudes no one would know about, lol ...

Seriously tho you all need to check out the track on Voice of the Great Outdoors by Taskforce which features Jehst and Braintax... rediculous...

I think Busdriver's the best MC in the world at the moment but only about 50% of it is down to his lyrics. He's in that category with Kool Keith of being absolutely 100% himself, and not pretentious at all. Most of these MC's are pretentious, even if they're street or what have you.

And the production on book of human language is beautifull!