Nifty looking Soundcard from Creative

That's one of the sound cards I considered buying when I was shopping around for one for my current PC. I emailed Creative with a few questions about it, but they responded saying that it was designed mostly with gaming and playback of media in mind, rather than recording, so I crossed it off the list. If it's playback you want though, I think it looks the business and the on-paper specs are excellent as well. Not sure about the cans though.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I emailed them to ask a couple of questions. I thought it might be a good "Jack of all trades" card, but I asked about latency when recording and if the card had direct monitoring and the reply I got said: -

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your interest and contacting Creative Labs.

With regard to your inquiry, our Sound Blaster ZxR has been made available for online sale since 13th of this month but there are only limited number of units. If you mean free direct monitoring as in hardware-monitoring, I am afraid that this card model doesn't support it. Though this soundcard produces better performance and audio quality, ZxR soundcard is initially designed and marketed for gaming.

Regards,

Arman
Creative Worldwide Customer Response

That said, at the time Creative said that it didn't support ASIO, but it definitely does now. I guess you would just have to try it and see how good it is for recording.

pfft, that's a bit rubbish innit?

I can't see the point in shelling out hundreds for a gaming soundcard when no developer even remotely bothers making environmental soundscapes in games anymore. Many have openly said they don't pursue as no one is bothered about it. Vicious circle I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the asus zonar hdav 1.3 deluxe. So far great for home theater, serious signal to noise ratio specs. Daughter card with interchangeable op amps, 1ms of midi latency. Recording line in is 120 db snr. I do regular Dolby trueHD and dts master audio movie watching so if you do gaming computer shit with headphones or cheap ass 3.5" speaker setup for 7.1, you be wasting money