Do you think listening/follower stats make much difference?

Steve

Obviously, if you have more followers on Twitter or more friends on Facebook, that's more people you can target with a post or tweet, but I'm not talking about that specifically.

What I'm talking about is listening stats/followers on a site like SoundCloud. There are services where you can pay money to add X number of listens. These services normally use bots just to boost your play count for a certain track/mix by 1,000, 5,000 or whatever. All it literally does is increase a number. Objectively, do you think there is any value in doing this? Do you think that people are more likely to listen to your mix if it has already had a lot of listens? Do you think more people are likely to follow you if you already have a large number of followers? Or do you think that it makes no difference?

For me personally, it's all about the mix/track. If I like what a person is doing, I'll follow them. It doesn't matter if I'm their first ever follower or the first person to listen to their track or mix. But I don't know whether others feel like this. I would bet that there are plenty of people who might see a mix and go "wow, this has 11,372 plays so I'm gonna have to check it out" and they would favour that over a mix with 12 listens, even if the latter might be far better.

I would never pay for this kind of thing though. I think it's cheesy. I'd rather do it "the honest way", but I was just wondering what you guys think. Would any of you ever use a stat boosting service?

yeah, i myself dont even pay attention to those numbers on other peoples stuff. when i put up something new ill check the numbers for the first week or so, but after that i lose interest.

True story: I called myself Justin Timberlake on facebook and got 10000 plays A DAY.

I had 11000000 plays before getting my account deleted. (I was using a friend adder and some other play program too)

people would come to my page and instead of being disappointed, bigged me up. It was quite cool.

then loads of people started jumping the bandwagon and it wasn't cool anymore.

Obviously, if you have more followers on Twitter or more friends on Facebook, that's more people you can target with a post or tweet, but I'm not talking about that specifically.

What I'm talking about is listening stats/followers on a site like SoundCloud. There are services where you can pay money to add X number of listens. These services normally use bots just to boost your play count for a certain track/mix by 1,000, 5,000 or whatever. All it literally does is increase a number. Objectively, do you think there is any value in doing this? Do you think that people are more likely to listen to your mix if it has already had a lot of listens? Do you think more people are likely to follow you if you already have a large number of followers? Or do you think that it makes no difference?

For me personally, it's all about the mix/track. If I like what a person is doing, I'll follow them. It doesn't matter if I'm their first ever follower or the first person to listen to their track or mix. But I don't know whether others feel like this. I would bet that there are plenty of people who might see a mix and go "wow, this has 11,372 plays so I'm gonna have to check it out" and they would favour that over a mix with 12 listens, even if the latter might be far better.

I would never pay for this kind of thing though. I think it's cheesy. I'd rather do it "the honest way", but I was just wondering what you guys think. Would any of you ever use a stat boosting service?

People that pay for stats are dumb. It might make a difference to some people but never did to me when I view somebody's page on soundcloud or twitter. In fact it's more counterproductive than anything. You have no way to gauge your audience size and more importantly creating a vacuum for an audience. in the republican primary it came to light that Newt was doing this on twitter. How stupid. The point is to have actual people that listen to what you say.