The state of DJ culture in 2012 - 90 DJ's opinions

Steve

Like it or not DJ culture is all grown up. Starting out in warehouses, basements, lofts and clubs in the ’70s and ’80s, and evolving into massive raves one-offs, festivals and global tours in the late ’90s and ’00s, its long and winding road has set the stage for a new generation of formidable talent and musical innovation. If you consider where DJ culture is at the moment, it’s hard to see things cooling off anytime soon: DJs are gracing the front covers of old guard print magazines, scoring movie soundtracks, touring with shows boasting fantastic production and even squabbling with each other on social media like reality TV stars.

The mainstream’s heightened interest in DJ culture has once again brought it to the crossroads. Knowing the cyclical nature of pop culture we’ve been wondering how it will all play out. When the pendulum swings back — and it no doubt will (simply reference every musical fad over the past 40 years) — what might the ramifications be?

Hoping to gain more insight we conducted interviews over a three-month period with 90 DJs of varying profiles playing a range of styles based all over the world. Our intent was to get a first-hand, unedited view about the state of DJ culture in 2012 from those who make their living in the DJ booth. We asked each DJ the same three questions: Where do they see the culture? What are its most disturbing trends? How are we going to make the global scene better? The comments (listed in alphabetical order below), like any quality DJ set, were intriguing, enlightening and entertaining.

http://newsflash.bigshotmag.com/features/19503/

This guy hits the nail on the fucking head for me: -

5. Ashley Beedle

"It's not about being a superstar on a stage, it's about making a party."

Where do you see DJ culture right now?

DJ culture is dying as an art form.

In your opinion, what is the most disturbing trend?

It has become very easy for people to “DJ” due to technology, but technology doesn’t make a DJ. DJs need personality and know how to select and program a journey.

How are we going to make the scene better?

The only way to fix this is looking at who came before us, understanding music and presenting it to those who want to learn. It’s not about being a superstar on a stage, it’s about making a party.

yeah i skimmed through that... i was going to make a post on facebook yesterday like this: "all music after 2000 is garbage" -dj sneak with 18 notable singles since 2001. but i would have burnt any remaining bridges i have in the chicago edm scene.