Jon1st: DROP September mix 2012

Jon

i've had the same thing jon - even this mix! sometimes i think im just playnig the same shit as you or om unit but then most of the time im thinking 'why doesnt this stuff get played more?'

definately mixing up with older stuff is a plus - i love linking all the dots back through jungle/hiphop/ragga/dub and stuff like that. i liked that you dropped rude bwoy monty instead of the africa hitech tune that could have been there

Sorry to be the bad penny Jon, but as normal i just don't get it.

I think its maybe because i come from the era of soul in music,and a lot of this to me is cold electronica, Could be an age thing, but bar the Danny Breaks tune it doesn't do much for me.

Better to be truthful than not at all.

1 Gluv

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got round to listening to this. To be honest it was only the track selection that put me off doing it earlier as while there's some overlap in what we like, we have quite different tastes in music, mostly cos I mainly listen to music that only black women aged 40+ like. :d

This mix is masterfully put together. I didn't like most of the tracks, but I still think the track listing is great if that makes sense - all the pieces fit together really well. The actual mixing is bang on. Great cuts. I'd like to have heard you do a few more little bits and pieces during some of the transitions, although I know you have to find a balance with scratching as not everyone is into it. The scratch solo parts sounded wicked, but I prefer it when you're cutting up samples other than ahhhhhhhh, like the bit that Vekked mentioned about 22 minutes in.

So yeah......erm.....criticism........maybe use LAME instead of FHG to encode your MP3s? Fully tag your file, maybe chuck your contact details in the comment field, and add some cover art? Don't chop the very end off as it's fading out. I'm having to clutch at straws here, haha.

Cheers Steve, thanks for the break down! As I learn more tricks I want to start getting deeper into multitracking on the next one. I did a fair bit on this one, but there's def loads of room for improvement.