Playstation 2 help

Mixologist

Well I got my Ps2 when they first came out, if that makes a difference, but it won't play any newer games at all it just says Disc read error, it will play however DVD's as long as they're pretty clean, and it will play some older games. My cousin also had the same problem and we both got them when they first came out, he took a can of compressed air and triead cleaning the inside of it, and after he cleaned the games, most of them worked, i was going to do the same but haven't had the time, but i wanna know wahts wrong because it's a common problem I.E. ebay has about a trillion ps2's with the disc read error problem, is the laser like to weak to read the cd's? thats what i was thinking, also it could be to dirty of course...

i used to know.. i've read about it in the past but it is indeed the laser...i believe if it was still under warranty sony would fix it.. but since your got yours when it came out i doubt it is still under warranty..

my p2s and this stupid thing.. just amde sounds liek the laser trying to read the disc and all types.. and i just kinda slapped it and rest it vertical and now it works.. but i dont htink that is the same thing you have..

Guest Deeswift

Definately sounds like the lazer. Looks like you might need to open it up or somehow get to the lazer to clean it with isopropyl alcohol. How you get to the damn thing I have no idea, it's well hidden from view, so it looks like flipping it over, removing the screws (under the little tabs at each corner of the base) and seeing if you can get to it that way (should be able to). Gotta be careful when opening it up though because there's a ribbon cable and you don't wanna be snapping any wires, etc.

Once you're in there, take a cotton bud / q-tip or two and use a tiny bit of the isopropyl alcohol to clean the lazer lens. Give it a wipe with a dry tip straight after and all should be well.

Isopropyl is available from chemists. You'll probably have to order a bottle as most UK chemists don't stock it anymore (tramps were drinking it and dying). Failing that, use tape head cleaner solution / CD cleaning fluid or record cleaner, its basically the same stuff repackaged and sold at high prices.

Alright i cleaned this black circle thing, and this silver thing in the middle of the other black circle, was the silver thing the lens? anything else i should clean?

EDIT: nevermind found the lens after taking apart another case...

Edited by Mixologist

There's lots of info & pics about opening PS2's online - search for 'mod chip installation' or something like that. NOt that it matters anyway, looks like you've got your open.

Also, I know on the Dreamcast that there is a potentiometer that you can turn to change the focus or power of the laser - the PS2 may have one as well. Again, google it.

Guest Deeswift
Also, I know on the Dreamcast that there is a potentiometer that you can turn to change the focus or power of the laser - the PS2 may have one as well. Again, google it.

The PS1 has one, I used to have to tune my lazer because it skipped on FMV's, so maybe the PS2 lazer assembly works in a similar way...

http://www.ps2.nu/playstation-2-laser-cali...scilloscope.asp alright well i found it using the help with this site, but i really just want to teak it a little more, so i'mthinking just turn the screw like hlaf way or something, i really don't feel like getting my dads oscilloscope to make is all correct, just something quick and that will work

nfl 2k5 was working yesterday and today it wasnt i kept hearing clickingnoises un the ps2 and it was taking ages to load and you could tell it was tryign hard to read the disc even though the disc is new

also i can't get to the potentiometers as its underneat the laser and i have no way that i can see to get there

Edited by Mixologist

wrong type homey...

he means:

though they are a lot smaller than these (though they still fit the category of 'Potentiometers'. The ones he's talkin about are about 1/4" by 1/8" tall or smaller.

Edited by djscrizzle

• 1 month later...

Is it really that bad if i look into the laser of this thing? it has a warning label and all, i'm not gonna try and look into the laser i jsut want to see if it works before i put it back together, rahter than put it back together find that it doesn't work and then try to fix it again