Online promotion for mixes - What do you do?

Steve

I try to get my mixes posted up in a few places, but I'm still a bit of a n00b at promoting my stuff online. Here's what I do: -

1. Post on forums. I used to get loads of hits from DJ Forums before the site died (it's back up now, but they had to start over). I post on a handful of others too, such as Z-Trip's forum and Philaflava.

2. Have my own website. It just has links to mixes on my SoundCloud page, but if someone was to Google for "dj sigma" it's the top result so it may help.

3. Try and get on some decent blogs. My last mix was on that Pipomixes site and Flea Market Funk which seem to get quite a lot of hits. The FMF guy reckoned that my mix got 2,000 hits in the first weekend it was up, so hopefully he'll be cool with taking some of my future mixes.

4. Get the mix out on torrent sites. Once it's up on a couple it seems to get passed around all of the big ones.

5. Post to SoundCloud groups. A guy on DJ Forums gets loads of listens every week just from constantly listing and re-listing his mixes in big groups. I've just started trying this today.

I don't really use social networks cos all of my Facebook friends are either people that wouldn't care about my mixes, or they're DV heads and I've only just started using Twitter and I have less than 30 followers.

So what do you do? Got any tips to share?

i dont. i really suck at internetting. ive been meaning to make a soundcloud for about a year now, but i keep hearing horror stories of people paying for their services and then having all their mixes denied for copyright issues. i dont like mixcloud because they dont have easy download features. i just upload my mixes to mediafire and then put a link on facebook. depending on the style i get like 30 to 50 people to download them. but then they get lost beneath regular posts and such that no one new ever sees them.

when the rvm mix was complete i emailed somewhere between 25 and 30 blogs that i felt would be interested in the mix and not a single one emailed back or ever wrote up the rvm. it blew my mind really... i sent attachments in the email with links, jpegs, and pdfs so they could basically look at the website offline and directdownload and streaming links... no one bit. i gave up. the only write ups we ever got were from chicago bloggers who happened to see us live. my favorite quote was "the RVM are the synchronized swimmers of the chicago partysphere." yeah, we were that tight; nick wouldnt allow mistakes. "no mistakes allowed!"

seriously, steve, i think youve covered all the bases. aside from hiring someone to do that for you for eight hours a day, or making the next groundbreaking viral video, i cant think of anything else one could do.

With blogs, it seems to make a difference if your mix is hosted on SoundCloud or Mixcloud, because then they can embed a widget/player into their site. Some won't even consider your mix without that.

The SoundCloud copyright thing is a pain in the arse, but it's become kinda the Facebook for mix hosting. I get way more hits for the same mixes on there compared to Mixcloud.

I try to get my mixes posted up in a few places, but I'm still a bit of a n00b at promoting my stuff online. Here's what I do: -

1. Post on forums. I used to get loads of hits from DJ Forums before the site died (it's back up now, but they had to start over). I post on a handful of others too, such as Z-Trip's forum and Philaflava.

2. Have my own website. It just has links to mixes on my SoundCloud page, but if someone was to Google for "dj sigma" it's the top result so it may help.

3. Try and get on some decent blogs. My last mix was on that Pipomixes site and Flea Market Funk which seem to get quite a lot of hits. The FMF guy reckoned that my mix got 2,000 hits in the first weekend it was up, so hopefully he'll be cool with taking some of my future mixes.

4. Get the mix out on torrent sites. Once it's up on a couple it seems to get passed around all of the big ones.

5. Post to SoundCloud groups. A guy on DJ Forums gets loads of listens every week just from constantly listing and re-listing his mixes in big groups. I've just started trying this today.

I don't really use social networks cos all of my Facebook friends are either people that wouldn't care about my mixes, or they're DV heads and I've only just started using Twitter and I have less than 30 followers.

So what do you do? Got any tips to share?

You put your mixes on torrents!? I never woulda thought of that as an outlet. Crazy. How do you do that? Just seed it and somebody snags it?

Is z-trip's forum busy??

I usually seed it for a few weeks, but it depends how it goes. If 20-30 people jump on it pretty quickly then you'll often see quite a few of those carry on seeding it so you don't have to. Torrents are definitely not as good as they used to be though. When I first started using them all you had to do was go on one big, popular torrent site and that was it. That old drum and bass mix I made spread across the torrent sites pretty quickly: -

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=m-style+sigma+making&pbx=1&oq=m-style+sigma+making&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=640l2879l0l3008l20l18l0l2l2l0l129l1453l12.5l19l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=cc7d90ac551f17af&biw=1676&bih=922

Z-Trip's forum is pretty dead now too. I post there cos it has a dedicated section for user mixes.

First off good topic Steve, I often wondered myself.

One thing you forgot was mailing hard copies out to people. Here's something that I do with all my mixes. I have a list of my own friends and family who get every mix I make in the mail. I do it because I love doing it, it's not about the money at all, it makes them happy so I'm happy. Plus friends and family are the best promoters by the way, my little brother in particular talks about my mixes with all his friends, so I get a lot of downloads from his friends and friends of friends. I also do it because mp3s are so plentiful, that often people think they are completely worthless regardless of where you post it, mp3s are less then a dime a dozen. There are literally thousands of mixes floating around and no one has time to download them because they are so cheap you can't even GIVE away free music any more no matter who you are or how good you are. BUT, if someone opens their mailbox and sees a CD sitting in there it becomes real, the hard work is instantly recognized and they feel obligated to listen to it. For me I see it like this... If they didn't listen to it, it would be like you painting them a picture and they didn't look at the picture, they just left it wrapped up. "Oh I'll look at the painting later when I have time." The mixes I ship out get listened to, relistened to and enjoyed.

My mp3 uploads on the other hand (with a few exceptions like Dumpster Funk and Solar Powered Space Trees) never take off. It's not because they suck (I hope) it's because people don't wanna be bothered with free music from some dude out there. Sad but true, I see it even with HUGE names like DJ Premier.

BTW: I noticed as DJForums has gotten back on it's feet that the mix submission forum is back to it's old self. I deposited my Beck mix there and before 3 hours went by it went to page 2 where no one looks. Certain forums you post it on won't get noticed. On the other hand, if you put it on my mixtape submission forum and it'll be on page one for years LOL.

rchecka - I'm with you on the physical copies thing. I did that with a couple of my mixes in the past.

As for the DJ Forums Mix Subs section, to get listens seems to rely on you being a well known and active member of the site. The first 2 mixes I ever posted on there got 0 replies, but then I wrote some guides, talked a lot of shit, helped some people out, and after that my mixes always seemed to do pretty well on there.

Wax - The only reason I wanted the list is so that I could do the same thing about you!

Steve I've been wondering the same thing. I used to put my mixes up on forums, Facebook, MySpace (r.i.p.) and that's about it. I'd get a few hundred downloads for each one, then the last Butter mix I did got mentioned by The New Yorker's music writer and I got a few thousand downloads in two weeks. Fuck knows how he came across it in the first place, I'd love to know.