"Instrumental hip-hop sucks"

R Funksmith

from an article in San Fran weekly:

"Instrumental hip-hop should be banned. It's the banal, meandering stepchild of hip-hop. It's a front-runner for the dubious honor of being the world's most snooze-inducing form of music... Where is the joy and excitement in listening to three minutes of plodding drum beats overlaid with a short sample that repeats but goes nowhere? It's music without a start or end, without peaks and momentum -- it's hip-hop without a money shot."

I dunno, stop listening to such shitty instrumental hip hop?

I must admit, I'm not a big fan of instrumental hip-hop either. I like instrumental electro (the proper old school stuff) and I prefer the instrumental versions of some of the tracks to the vocal versions, but I do find instrumental hip-hop a bit boring for the most part. That said, as I've never really been a big fan of it, I haven't been seeking it out either, so I'm probably missing out on some good stuff.

Guest Symatic

i really like some really simple break-and-a-sample hip hop, but i can see how someone who looks for more developed structure in music would find it repetative.

not everyone finds it intresting from a 'thats such a sick loop" point of view.

I really like inst hiphop. Better than rap. Some is crap of course. I think some people just can't grasp music w/o lyrics. I mean, what a dumbass. Most all music is repetitive in someway.

I can dig it. Still the article seems pretty ignorant and self-important.

Also I would draw an important distinction between 'instrumental hip hop' and 'hip hop instrumentals', and I would say that the latter can easily suffer from boringness, but not the former. For example, Endtroducing (Shadow), or The Audience's Listening (Cut Chemist). It's also funny how the author complains about hip hop producers trying to be deep and atmospheric, but then lets DJ Shadow off the hook for some reason, even though Endtroducing is utterly deep and atmospheric (to the point of being a bit long-winded, in my opinion).

It just seems like the style nowadays is to write articles that lash out at subjects that are held dear by lots of people. The way he attacked J Dilla, I mean say what you will about Dilla but lots and lots and LOTS of people, including 'influential' producers of hip hop, think he's the GOAT... so rudely and clumsily attacking him like that is obviously gonna draw some flack. It seems like the article was written in a trolling fashion. I myself got trolled, as you can see.

EDIT: oh yeah, I was gonna say that as far as instrumentals go, it's a sign of how excellent the beat is if you can take the vocals out and be left with a track that's still highly listenable. One that comes to mind is Straight Off The D.I.C. by Cannibal Ox. Also the author forgets that when you buy a single on wax for instance, you get the instrumental because it's a TOOL for DJs, not because it's some offering to the greater musical canon created by humans on earth. Nahmean?

Edited by R Funksmith

I think some people just can't grasp music w/o lyrics.

I listen to prog rock and for me that has to be instrumental or I ain't usually feeling it, so I'm definitely cool with instrumental music. Endtroducing is an album I can appreciate, but I can't say I ever get the urge to listen to it, nor The Audience's Listening.

Actually, I really like DJ Frane's albums and I guess they would fall into the instrumental hip-hop category, although it's a mix of hip-hop, funk, electro and other bits and pieces. A not-so hip-hop track of his that I love: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmYQg_kG4ks

The writer of that blog is a dumb ass and if I could send my fist through my computer screen all the way to San Fransico to punch his winey little face, I would do it.

On his blog title he actually states that he wants to ban instrumental Hip Hop. Ban it? COME ON!

He doesn't even know what it is, he referenced Diplo as an example for God's sake. What a pansy. I hate clueless fucks like that who blog about shit they know nothing of. What a genuine waste of bandwidth.

Instrumental Hip Hop is just like any Hip Hop, it can be dope or it can be wack. It totally depends on how good the producer of the beat is. I got all kinds of instrumental albums that I bought because the beats were dope and the rappers sucked, or maybe the beats were just as dope as with the rapper, either way, there's plenty of room for that kind of boom bap in my collection. Not to mention all the sub-genres of Hip Hop that are purely instrumental that are worth rotating.

I guess what Button Basher and I used to make would be classed as inst-hip hop. I love it to bits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnZrzVUlRlE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng0FuAVrq60

^ two of my fave inst-hip hop producers.

Glen Porter's forthcoming ep is INSANE if you're into this stuff.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiSuMBSR6Do

I have neverending respect for this guy^

Guest Symatic

i really like some really simple break-and-a-sample hip hop, but i can see how someone who looks for more developed structure in music would find it repetative.

not everyone finds it intresting from a 'thats such a sick loop" point of view.

having read through the whole article, the writer is clearly a douche

So you think he really wants to ban instrumental hip hop. To implement an actual ban?

He wrote that article to get hits and wind people up and he's succeeded.

I don't know why you care so much. If you like it just carry on liking it - if he's a dickhead then his opinion shouldn't matter to you.

So you think he really wants to ban instrumental hip hop. To implement an actual ban?

who's being precious now? Of course we don't think he means an actual 'ban' when he says 'ban'. No one thinks that he thinks his call for a ban was to be taken seriously. (When you say something rules, you don't actually think it literally 'rules' correct?) And yes, he's clearly trolling with the article and has succeeded in winding people up. ....in fact, yes you're completely right. Dickhead opinions should matter to none of us, especially considering how we're all enlightened beings of pure energy, unconcerned with earthly distractions.

But it is a shoddy piece of journalism, whether or not he's 100% serious or joking or anywhere in between. I don't care how much of the piss he's taking, and I also don't care what specific genre he's attacking. I just think it's irresponsible to have that platform (the SF weekly), which appears to be somewhat respected or whatever, and use it to skeet un-thought-out opinions onto the tits of the masses. Also, from the tone of the article, using my acute powers of deduction I have concluded that, far from enjoying instrumental hip hop or even merely being ambivalent about it, the author does actually strongly dislike it... I guess probably based on downloading the instrumentals to his favorite rap record of 2010 and discovering that the beats were shitty.

The only way to exonerate the author is if this whole thing were a false-flag operation, the author actually does like instrumental hip hop, and he's wound everyone up in order to make people think about the issue and cement their opinions in the liking-it camp.

You don't seem to understand how SERIOUS this is man. Disappoint.

Guest petesasqwax

I couldn't care less about his opinions, what bothers me a little is that he's been given a platform upon which to speak about music and he uses for such pathetic, half-arsed bullshit. Surely that space could have been given over to an actual journalist with some kind of musical insight, no?

http://fleamarketfunk.com/2012/02/13/why-instrumental-hip-hop-doesnt-suck-a-rebuttal/

I came across this article in the San Francisco Weekly by Phillip Mlynar stating that “Instrumental Hip Hop Sucks. Ban It Forever”. Now if you have been a follower of Flea Market Funk, you know that not only do we promote the vinyl from original artists that fuel instrumental Hip Hop, but support today’s producers and artists that make quality music. Some of them are strictly instrumental Hip Hop. In his article, Mr. Mlynar rips the entire genre (except DJ Shadow, for some reason he gets a pass and “is exonerated from the crime of instrumental hip-hop by virtue of his music being more correctly in the lineage of Steinski’s witty cut-and-paste experiments.”). He goes on to bash artists like DOOM, Diplo, RJD2, and Dilla. While this is America, and of course just an opinion of Mr. Mylnar, I am really offended, and appalled that a writer for a national weekly was allowed to publish such trash. What came across was an ill informed, horribly researched, personal witch hunt on music he doesn’t like. If you look back on the articles he wrote in 2011, they ranged from “The World’s Most Regrettable Hip Hop Tattoos” (oh wait I saw an ice cream cone on a guy’s face!) to multiple articles on Kreayshawn, some *surprise*, DJ Shadow, and a whole lot of lists that look like something ego trip list would publish. Let’s break down why this article doesn’t make sense.

People's butts are definitely hurt! Did someone on here write this?