Liquid vinyl cleaners - Anyone got one?

Steve

lol

I just tried removing it and it pealed off easily and in one piece, except for a segment on one side where I'd put it on a bit thicker than everywhere else, as that hadn't dried. Where it has peeled off (which is about 80% of the side) the record looks absolutely mint, but I can't try playing it yet until the last bit dries and I can get that off.

I won't put anywhere near as much on next time, as it had been nearly 24 hours since I applied it.

Not "mucky" as such, but I can see dust/dirt particles trapped in it on the side that was touching the vinyl.

This particular record was in really good condition anyway - as good as you would expect for a 30 year old album. It just sounded pretty crackly when I played it, despite looking very clean, so I'm hoping this reduces that.

The dried material feels like latex - like a rubber glove. It's fucking strong too, cos I tried pulling it to snap it and it took some doing.

I'm gonna give this 2 thumbs up. I got the rest of the gunk off and the record sounds noticeably better, although it doesn't sound like it's just been pressed today or anything so don't expect miracles if you buy some.

I've applied it to the other side and this time I used much less and I massaged it in with my fingers (which is what you're supposed to do) instead of spreading it out with a business card. I've got a much thinner layer on this time. So thin that I could sort of feel it setting as I was putting it on.

EDIT - It only took 3½ hours to dry this time.

I forgot to record a "before" sample, but here's what it sounds like after being cleaned: -

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/sigma/Rise.mp3

This is just a straight recording, so I haven't done anything to clean this up in Audition.

The record was originally crackly throughout and while there is a little bit of crackling at the start of that track, it sounds really clean now.