Nintendo releasing "Slide Pad" add-on for the 3DS

Steve

3DS sales have been pretty weak and Nintendo were forced to cut the price which has led to the company taking its first quarterly loss ever.

One of the things they're going to do to try and boost sales is to release this thing: -

nintendo-3ds_famitsu-mag_500x500.jpg

It adds a second circle pad on the right. It looks shitty though and it requires an extra battery, plus it's going to require developers to create games that support it, so it fragments the user base.

Has anyone bought one? I tested it out at the game store and it's amazing. I totally would have bought it but I am gaming less and less so I have not bought. The one thing I've noticed is little if any ads about it before or after release. Maybe they are not targeting things I watch but it should have been plastered all over IMO. Bad marketing.

The Vita is far more my thing than the 3DS. The graphics on the Vita are a huge leap over last generation and it has better controls: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zqyRuLHPCo

I don't think I'll buy either though.

I think the mistake they made with the 3DS is not differentiating it enough from the DS. In some game shops, the 3DS games are mixed in with the DS ones. The press kinda hammered them over the 3D and that it's causing a lot of people to get headaches, so much so that they don't even mentioned the 3D functionality in some of their ads now. I think sales will pick up when some good titles come out though - the new Mario Kart is out at Christmas and that'll no doubt boost sales.

Yeah, not enough good games on launch and not targeting enough young adults... kids are great but I wouldn't buy my kid shit with the economy right now... I see enuf ads on Hulu (like I do for COD and Gears) then I just might buy it for myself! Gotta target the people that got the money! The 3D really is amazing.