Anjou speaker cables

Guest Symatic

Cables is a funny one - there's lots of unproven/unprovable manufacturing techniques that different companies use. Decent shielding and high quality copper (or whatever metal they choose to use for the actual cable) seem to make a noticable difference. I get to listen to a lot of cables at work and i do hear differences, but the prices get very stupid very quickly. one thing that pisses me off is that the manufacturers will just add another layer of shielding to one of their existing cables and charge way more money for it, when they havent had to go to the trouble of designing a higher end product from the ground up. the difference in price is not justified.

but the manufacturers point of view is that if some idiot is willing to pay silly money, and they do, then why shouldnt they charge silly money?

Did you see this a couple of years back?

http://www.randi.org/jr/2007-09/092807reply.html#i4

Having trouble finding the info on Randi's site, but basically he offered his $1M prize to anyone who could identify the Pear cables repeatedly in blind listening tests, with any reference kit they should choose to supply.

The thing is, there are scientific and engineering projects that rely on similar principles and which don't have cost limitations, but cables like these are not considered useful. The company I work for manufactures subsea detection kit at £100k+ a pop. This kit works on audio frequencies, and the design of the output stages is basically an audio amplifier -a very good one. If these cables gave us even a slight benefit over dirt cheap cable picked up from Radio Spares, we would use it. $7k for 12 feet would not be a huge hit on our BOM cost. The same can be said for scientific experiments, medical instruments, defence technologies.