Are dell laptops any good?

Dan

My Dad's got one, although it's one of the cheaper ones than the XPS line. It's alright, especially considering what I paid for it.

The model you're looking at gets good reviews, apart from CNET UK who give it 3/5. They say that the Samsung Q430 is better for similar money.

I've always preferred Dells if you get a PC. I bought a cheapish Inspiron for work. Was slow at first but then I maxed out the ram for like $24 and now it runs great. The Precisions are the best but most expensive. I forget what kinda Dell I have at home but it's just below the Precision.

I own a Studio 15 and that's pretty damn powerful but the HDD died after less than 12 months. The Precision is more designed for businesses but they are the best and used for graphics rendering and really beefy jobs. The "business" laptops one down from that are Lattitude and are not too good in my experience.

^^I don't think it's Latitude I have.. it's a desktop system and arn't Latitudes laptops? Either way my last work laptop was a Latitude and it worked for a really long time. I buy almost all my Dells used or refurb too. Doesn't Dell make Alienware now too?

^^I don't think it's Latitude I have.. it's a desktop system and arn't Latitudes laptops? Either way my last work laptop was a Latitude and it worked for a really long time. I buy almost all my Dells used or refurb too. Doesn't Dell make Alienware now too?

Yeah they do make Alienware now Dirk, or at least they bought them as a sub-brand. Dunno about the logistics. You'll have an Optiplex I guess, Latitudes are laptops, you're quite right.

Yeah they do make Alienware now Dirk, or at least they bought them as a sub-brand. Dunno about the logistics. You'll have an Optiplex I guess, Latitudes are laptops, you're quite right.

That's it! An Optiplex.

• 2 months later...

When it comes to quality laptops that are customizable and affordable HP is pretty much king right now. You have a budget? I could give you some links to some options if I know what you are trying to spend.