T-Mobile cutting data usage to 500MB per month from February 1st

Steve

T-Mobile offered 1GB of data per month for mobile Internet with all non-Android phones and 3GB of data per month with Android phones. This is now being reduced to 500MB for all users, so for me, that's an 83% cutback in my allowance. They say that if you go over this limit, you will still be able to browse the web and access email, and there will be no extra charges, but you will not be able to do things such as downloading files or streaming audio/video.

By law, they are supposed to give customers 30 days notice of these changes, but I only knew about this when I read it on the web yesterday. OFCOM have said that they're going to investigate and Which? have said that their legal team believes T-Mobile are in breach of contract. If they are found to be in breach of contract, you would be able to cancel with no termination charges and keep your phone.

I hope they are found to be in breach of contract, because I'd switch to GiffGaff (which is owned by O2 and runs on their network), where you can get truly unlimited data, unlimited texts and 300 minutes per month for £15 and there's no ongoing contract. Either that or I'd get another subsidised handset on contract with one of the major companies, then either sell that handset or my Desire.

Oh i though most of the phones companys already did this?

I though that most companies had a fair usage policy even with unlimited usage, So really you only got 500mb not unlimited (if that makes sense).

I know a friend of mine got caught out by that, He went over the fair usage and got a bill for about 200 pounds.

But if all goes well, hopefully you get to keep you phone. Win!

Pretty much all phone companies have a fair usage policy, it's just that T-Mobile's was 1GB for non-Android phones and 3GB for Android phones. Now it's 500MB no matter what phone you have. One of the reasons I chose my contract is because I could get the 3GB of data, but now I'll only get one sixth of that.

God bless the power of the Internetz. With all the backlash from consumers and consumer rights sites, T-Mobile have now backed down. The new 500MB limit will affect new customers, but not existing ones (so not me!).

or me! Win for us!