final cut interlacing help

johnny 1 move

I'm trying to go mac (apparently when I have I'll never go back) but I need to get some video scratch tools done quickly and I'm struggling with final cut

Basically I'm just animating some text and images which is fine but when I export the video it's getting interlaced which looks shit when I scratch with it

The only way I've found around it is to export then load the rendered file, apply a de-interlace filter, then re-export.

I'm assuming there's a way to stop it interlacing in the first place (the source files are static so they're not interlaced) or failing that to de-interlace on the export.

Can anyone help?

I'm trying to go mac (apparently when I have I'll never go back) but I need to get some video scratch tools done quickly and I'm struggling with final cut

Basically I'm just animating some text and images which is fine but when I export the video it's getting interlaced which looks shit when I scratch with it

The only way I've found around it is to export then load the rendered file, apply a de-interlace filter, then re-export.

I'm assuming there's a way to stop it interlacing in the first place (the source files are static so they're not interlaced) or failing that to de-interlace on the export.

Can anyone help?

What are you exporting as? Can't you just export in a progressive scan format rather than an interlace scan?

Can anyone help?

What are you exporting as? Can't you just export in a progressive scan format rather than an interlace scan?

I think i tried that but it's not clear... i assume the formats without an "i" on the end are progressive but it doesn't say in the details pane.

i couldn't find one that worked anyway...

Google just comes back with loads of info on de-interlacing imported clips... i couldn't find anything about exporting

Yes the ones ending in 'i' are interlaced, the ones ending in 'p' are progressive. Additionally avoid any of the PAL or NTSC settings as these are both interlaced formats.

The easiest way to work progressive is to set your project settings to p from the start (Final cut pro >Audio video settings > set to a p format eg HDV 720p25)

Make your sequence, set your in and out points and then file> export > quicktime movie (or use compressor depending on what you want to do)

If you've set your project settings to a progressive scan format you can simply leave it setting set to 'current settings', if not you will need to change to a p format.

That should give you a progressive scan .mov at 25fps.

I've never done any video scratching though so I've no idea about what happens when it reaches that end of things so maybe something else is causing the problem if you've done all of this already.

I think the sequence would match whatever the settings were when you created it. If you're only working with still images in the sequence it shouldn't matter too much as the software should compensate for the different frame rates (although you might find problems with dropped frames).

If you're working with video it would be a lot more complicated, and it's a lot easier to make sure you're matching frame rates from the start.

Similarly depending on how deep you are into the project I would be tempted to re-import your clips and start a new sequence just to keep everything in the same format.

I think the sequence would match whatever the settings were when you created it. If you're only working with still images in the sequence it shouldn't matter too much as the software should compensate for the different frame rates (although you might find problems with dropped frames).

If you're working with video it would be a lot more complicated, and it's a lot easier to make sure you're matching frame rates from the start.

Similarly depending on how deep you are into the project I would be tempted to re-import your clips and start a new sequence just to keep everything in the same format.

That's what I thought but I started again and it's still on 25 frames on the timeline... sure I'll figure out what I'm doing wrong but it doesn't really matter for now... just need to get it done and it looks ok.

Thanks again for the help!