The end of Technics?

Dan

TECHNICS TURNTABLES to be Discontinued!

Panasonic announces Technics production to cease in February 2010

The Technics SL-1200 and Technics SL-1210 turntables have shaped the world we know today. Featured in the London Museum of Science and Technology they are regarded as a major stepping stone in how music is played and presented.

We have just heard the sad news from Panasonic (the manufacturer of Technics) that production of the world famous Technics SL-1200 and SL-1210 DJ turntables will stop at the end of February 2010. This marks the end of an era - Technics have been the industry standard for over 35 years with this turntable and the SL-1200 is synonymous with the DJ culture. It has been released and re-released over 9 times with different models and numerous other manufacturers have tried to compete with this deck, but above all, the Technics SL-1200 & Technics SL-1210 are the undisputed number one deck in the world.

Technics SL-1200 & SL-1210 Turntables

The Technics SL-1200 and Technics SL-1210 turntables have shaped the world we know today. Featured in the London Museum of Science and Technology they are regarded as a major stepping stone in how music is played and presented.

The Technics 1200 has been the industry standard for 35+ years. This is the turntable that first established the type of high torque (motor strength), accurate pitch (speed control), quality tone arm (aids in skip resistance), and superior sound that is required by djs, and after 35+ years it is still the standard by which all other turntables are judged. Every other turntable that has come since has patterned their design off this legendary piece of equipment, and the reason is simple: the 1200 is about as close to perfection as you can get with a piece of machinery. It functions beautifully and the durability and construction are unmatched. The body and major components are made of steel. The bottom of the body is made of a dense rubber that eliminates distortion and feedback and adds extra weight for stability. Most of the basic parts are readily available and user replaceable.

The Technics decks are our #1 recommendation. There is simply no replacement for a Technics 1200 turntable. Regardless of model number, Technics still makes the best turntable available, and they are used in 99% of all venues. Resale value is also very high. Some newer turntables may have more features, but this is the superior overall product. When you use a 1200, you know you are using the best.

taken from another forum, not sure if true

Giz solves the mystery again!

http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=603

It's not very often that we have anything to post about Technics but rumours abound about the 1210MK5G being discontinued. So being the dutiful DJ hack that I am, rather than post rumour, I got FACTS. Clarification came from Panasonic UK to squash rumours. And It's not what you might think.

So here goes - the 1200MK5 and 1210MK5 WILL be discontinued leaving the 1210MK5G as the top of the range and most definitely NOT discontinued. It never was a limited edition, just a flagship special edition model. And the 1200 and 1210 MK2 will continue as normal. So now there's some distance between the MK2 and MK5G models instead having a middle MK5 deck to confuse matters. So it's vanilla Technics or the more expensive piano black extra pitched blue light luxury model left in the range.

In this case, less choice is better. Now you can make a very clear decision about which Technics to buy. Well that's my opinion anyway.

emailled Panasonic, and this is the reply...

Ref : CQI355302

Text :

I emailled you on 8th may 2008, enquiring about rumours panasonic were to stop

production of the 'technics sl1200' turntable, you replied saying there were no

plans to stop production.

Many rumours have recently surfaced that you have announced you are to stop

production of the SL1200/1210 turntable in 2010. I would like you to either

confirm this or deny it please, just so I can let my forum members know the

truth.

Thankyou for your help,

Nik

http://keepvinylalive.no-ip.org

REPLY:

ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Mr Harper,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry.

In response, I would explain that as a major global business, Panasonic keeps all of its operations under constant review. However, there are no current plans to discontinue the Technics brand and the production of Technics turntables

We trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0844 844 3852 or email us using the following email address:

customer.care@panasonic.co.uk

Kind regards

Mark Solesbury

Administrator

Dealer Support / Correspondence Team

Panasonic UK Ltd

PUK (Registered Number 01069148 England) Registered Office: Panasonic UK Ltd, Willoughby Road, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 8FP